Table silver has always been in honor. Kitchenware and interior accessories had greater value and were considered a family security indicator. Silver table was inherited and equated to a family relic. The best masters to order made silver cutlery, decorating them with patterns and engraving. Serving the table with silver devices or dishes before the arrival of guests, they showed special respect.
List of objects
Cookware made of silver is popular today. Especially in demand Tea sets, cutlery, samovars and kettles. Silver has beneficial properties that are reflected on drinks or food. For example, if tea is prevented by a silver spoon, it will give a special taste of water, clean it from impurities.
In the old days, people knew that silver had the property to disinfect water. It was customary to throw a silver coin into the well so that the water was cleaner and it could be drunk.
Acquiring utensils from silver, It is important to remember its thermal conductivity. On the knob of the kettle must be inserting a tree or bone. A piece of porcelain must be present on the coffee service. Without such insulators, the use of dishes will be simply impossible. Silver spoons are usually done without inserts, so it is necessary to use it in the first minutes, then just remove hot drink. Also popular cup holders made of silver. Today they are more often used as gifts or collective dishes, and not on their intended purpose.
Samples and labeling
Metal testing and marking indicates the number of impurities contained in alloy. At different times, the wizard around the world used their systems, but the goal remained unchanged – to show the quality of the product. Made from pure silver decoration and accessories can be, but not practical. Therefore, as a doping material is often used Copper, platinum. These impurities are least affecting the color of the product, they also add strength to it. In recent years, impurities in alloys are protected from the appearance of scale.
- 800 Sample. So marked with a alloy in which copper is contained in an amount of 20%. Despite the high content of the ligature, the appearance of products retains glitter, they are durable. However, products from this sample acquire a yellowish tint. Most often, cutlery and souvenirs are made of it. In the past, such an alloy often used masters in Germany and Italy.
The composition of such products was marked not only by numbers, but also allowed a label in the form of a crescent or crown, Italian jewelers preferred to leave their own designations, including their names and cities.
- 830 Sample. This trial is not much different from 800, so it is not presented in international classification.
The “French” silver is often found in the works of France masters, made most often figurines and accessories, interior details.
- 875 test. Products from this metal are less oxidized, it is easy to clean and longer do not lose appearance. In the past, this test was very popular, so there is a lot of antique things before our time, which made manufacturers in Russia. From this sample did the services for the royal family. They branded with its numbers 84, such a system was used up to 1927. Today such products are a real antiques. In the USSR, this alloy was one of the most sought-after. It was actually all silver products.
In Soviet times, in addition to figures on products of this sample, stamp. He was a five-pointed star, inside which he saw a sickle and hammer. Focused production was in the Ural district.
- 925 Sample. One of the most common alloys. Often called sterling. This old term emerged in England, where merchants used silver coins to calculate. Over time, their name has changed to pounds sterling. The first mention of sterling silver coins are found in the records of the XI century. The old document states that the content of the precious metal should be at least 92.5%. At that time, the marking was made not in numbers, but a figure of a lion. The material is easy to process, retains color, oxidation is much slower than other alloys.
Silver is quite strong, so it is actually done from it all, earrings and rings, trays and decorative interior items, dining rooms and candlesticks. All items are decorated with various vensels and ornaments.
- 960 Sample. Of the silver of this sample, dishes are not made, as the metal is too soft. But the decorations that require detailed handmade look great, for example, this sample can be found in Faberge products. Persdet, chains and earrings are not actually oxidized, which means they do not lose their shine and are well polished.
However, such products need to be extremely neat, they are easy to deform.
- 999 Sample. Silver containing the minimum amount of impurities. Usually used for banking ingots, collectible coins or in the finest coatings.
What is different from jewelry?
Tableware and silver services in Russia have gained popularity in the XVIII century. First they were made from 999 samples, such silver is considered clean, without impurities. Such sets showed the viability of the family and often went as a dowry. Table silver differs from jewelry. Today, cutlery is made from 925 or 800 Sample.
From other samples of silver, the dishes are very soft and becomes unsuitable for use. Therefore, copper is most often added as a doping metal, which gives the alloy hardness. For jewelry, 925 samples are used more often.
Production Technology – Stamping and Art Casting. The most common method is stamping. Used in mass production, making products identical. Metal patterns stamped by press. Stamping also makes the surface perfectly smooth, this is due to silver rolling through the press to the required thickness. Artistic cast Used in the production of individual goods. The basis of this method is manual labor.
In the manufacture of products can combine both technologies, For example, the foundation of a spoon or a knife plate is made by stamping, and the handle on which the pattern is applied using an artistic casting. The main way of making jewelry – casting. This method is applied on mass production. Silver make a “Christmas tree”, from which then separate the necessary elements of the decoration, are collected together and give the item.
Pros and cons
In addition to cleansing properties, silverware also has Ability to enrich water and food with silver ions. They contribute to the acceleration of blood circulation and metabolism. Another advantage of such dishes in dining purposes is to prevent diathesis and getting rid of allergic reactions. Tableware from this material has other advantages:
- Reliability and impact resistance+
- Environmentally friendly+
- unpretentious in care+
- Aesthetically attractive+
- fully retains the taste and aroma of products and drinks+
- Posted to the touch.
The cons of the use of dishes from the noble material is a bit, but still they are present:
- Frequent use of pure water from silver dishes can lead to excess silver ions in the body+
- utensils from silver need to wash only manually, warm water+
- Silver has a property to fill over time+
- dependent on fluid temperature.
Despite some disadvantages, such a tableware remains convenient for use in everyday life, it can be alternating using glass products.
How to clean?
Silver – very whimsical metal. It has a nutritional property, it may appear scratches and cracks. Plus, this metal has the property of oxidation under the influence of household products, hydrogen sulfide in the air and other factors. Silver products over time lose the original appearance, dump and may even change in color. In order to prevent darkening of silver objects, it is important to comply with several rules:
- Silver products can not be stored with the means containing chemistry+
- eliminate contamination without allowing the appearance of spots and divorces+
- Silverware can not drink juices and other fluids with increased acidity+
- Do not use silver for taking drugs+
- Utensils from silver can not be washed in the dishwasher.
Get rid of dull color of silver and give it the initial view at home can be in several ways. Most effective means – Special jewelry and paste. They coped well with local pollution. With larger dark spots cope Special solutions, in which the silver products are lowered and then wipe the soft cloth. Such liquid can be purchased at any jewelry store. They are sold there Napkins from suede or microfiber, which betray silver shine, gently polishing the surface.
Domestic means can also be cleaned silver. It is necessary to dissolve warm Soap mortar, Soak in it silver minutes for 10-15, and then graze the product with a cotton swab. Silver products should not be used immediately after cleaning, it can darken faster, it is better to start using it in 1-2 days.
Blade products better entrust to the professionals of their business and attribute to cleaning in the jewelry workshop.
How to store?
Properly keep silver is not as difficult, observing the recommendations, so you can extend the life of it and maintain an excellent appearance. Avoid the appearance of scratches and small cracks will help Cases with soft fabric or velvet lining. Important Do not bandage table silver with rubber bands or other similar objects, they can leave ugly traces on devices.
Silver need Store dry, in a dark place, avoiding exposure to direct sunlight, it is sensitive to temperature drops. Avoid long direct contact with paper products, Since the paper contains sulfur that provokes oxidation.
Cutlery from silver should be used more often, because after applying they are cleaned, so it looks better and saves its initial beauty.
And if the silver tableware is as a decoration, then the care of it will be rare, gradually silver oxidizes.
Table silver review See next video.