Brilliant – a beautiful gem that does not leave an indifferent woman. It is obtained from diamond after a special processing that allows you to reveal all its beauty. “Double” of a diamond is a fianit. It is visually very similar to the original, but has an artificial origin. It is not so easy to distinguish them from each other, they are truly similar, although the price of these stones differs greatly. So that the seller of jewelry products does not take advantage of this similarity and did not sell you for the huge money to buy, which should not be read by the features of the other stone.
Description of diamond
Diamonds are evaluated by 4C system. It includes four characteristics – carat, color, cleanliness and cut. In English, all these words begin with the letter C. Each of the parameters is important when applying the evaluation to a specific instance.
The weight of the diamonds is determined in carats, and 1 carat is 0.2 grams. The smallest of all are the specimens, the weight of which is 0.01 karat. They are sometimes used by jewelers when creating decorations, only to see these stones in rings or earrings, you need to try – their diameter is not more than 1 mm.
In the carat scale – 100 divisions. The average man is very difficult to distinguish between the stones with weight, differing even in one tenth carat. Experts can do this, but they have to use special techniques, including a microscope. If you want to determine at least approximate weight, then try to use the arithmetic formula below. However, it is suitable only for stones, when processing which the large cut was used.
This formula looks like this: Mass = diameter2xews0,0061
The color of the stone is determined on the GIA scale, with its help, the experts reveal a shade ranging from brown to yellow. There is a group of diamonds of other colors, which are called fantasy. There are very beautiful copies of red, green, pink, lilac, blue shades. These unexpected colors are formed thanks to impurities: Bohr got into blue, in green – uranium and so on.
However, the most expensive species are ordinary diamonds without coloring. Cleaning stones can be checked using ultraviolet rays by fluorescence method.
Important! Diamond cut can be different, depending on the fantasy of the jeweler, but the best recognized variation in 57 faces.
Description of Fianita
Fianit is a crystal grown from zirconium dioxide. In the 60s of the last century, the fame of him rolled throughout the USSR. Because of his striking similarity with a diamond, it began to be actively used in jewelry and in industry. Unfair sellers can give fianit not only for a diamond, but also for other stones, for example, emerald. But most often this stone is produced in the color scheme inherent in a diamond.
He was called from the first letters of the Scientific Institute, in which it was invented – this is the Physical Institute of the Academy of Sciences. It is softer diamond just three units on the Maas scale (8.5 against 10). Fianita has such varieties as:
- Stone Swarovski.
There are many parameters for which natural and artificial crystal have differences.
- Weight. The mass of fianitis is much larger than the diamond. Specialists can determine the weight of the stone and draw conclusions about its origin.
- Glare. The radiant radiant is striking and variety of color glare. However, the technologies for the production of fianits do not stand still – today the masters learned how to produce crystals with a very bright radiance and find a difference with the original very difficult. The subspecies of Moissanite is almost never found in nature, but it is often grown in laboratories. They are very intensively sparkling, even more than diamonds, and it is not always possible to determine their artificial origin possible even with the help of devices. Especially with this task, the human eye will not cope.
- Form of the cut. The specificity of the cut can also give artificial stone, in the fianit and diamond, it differs: at the first – with rounded edges, and the second – with sharp. This method is also intended for experts, because the fianit can be processed by 57 faces.
- Rightness. Typically, diamonds are less perfect crystals, that is, there are small defects that are not observed in fianits.
However, this rule is relative, because very expensive diamonds have almost perfect parties.
We give various methods that allow you to distinguish between natural origin stones and crystals, man-grown in laboratory.
- Clever. Through a diamond, it is impossible to see any letters in a newspaper or magazine. But through the fianit, read the text is quite simple – it does not clutter the outline of the font.
- Use of fat. For this, quite a simple dough, and you will also need a drop of vegetable oil. Moisten the pebbles in it, and then attach it to the glass. Fianit will not stick to him and quickly fall off, but the diamond will remain in place. Another way implies the use of animal fat. It needs to drop on pebbles and watch the behavior of the drop. If it remains unchanged, then you are a diamond, and if it starts spread and gathering into other drops, then this is a fianit.
- Checking. This wonderful method can be used even in the store. At the same time, the stone may be in the decoration. In the case of an artificial crystal, you will see signs of fogging, but the authentic diamond will not change its type.
- Lupa. Optics can help see the hardly noticeable distinctive features of two stones. Take a look at your copy through a magnifying glass with a 20-fold magnification and look for the bone of its faces, split rays. Similar can occur only with an artificial crystal. In addition, the diamond is not completely transparent. Of course, sometimes in nature there are stones of “clean water”, but they will cost them a fortune.
- Heating. If you hold the fianit in your hands, it will absorb the heat of the human body. But the diamond will not change its temperature. True, before proceeding to such an experiment, it is necessary that the hands were rather warm.
- Hardness. This method is somewhat risky, but if you are confident that you have a diamond, you can try it. To do this, spend a stone on some surface. In the case of a stone of natural origin, he scratches it. Another option to distinguish a diamond and fianit based on their hardness is to displacing the decoration with a pebble. Over time, the scratches will appear on the fiat, while with diamonds such changes should not happen. Exception will be only cases of very inaccurative decoration with decoration, for example, you threw it with all the power of sex.
- Certificate. The presence of a certificate of authenticity is the right sign that you are real stone. Good jewelry salons are usually ready to documely confirm the natural origin of the stone. Of course, in our time it is impossible to be 100 percent confident in the authenticity of a certificate, but if it is a salon with the name that gives his reputation, then, most likely, this document will be genuine.
- Tester of diamonds. Today there are special devices that are able to determine the type of stone. Each instance has its own thermal conductivity and reflecting qualities. The diamond tester allows you to reveal how many genuine stones have in each row of data from instances, as well as identify a true diamond. The price of such an instrument made in America begins from 7000 rubles. Not such a big amount in comparison with the one that you can lose if you buy a fake. The Chinese device will cost 10 times cheaper. To get information about the stone enough to bring it to the stone.
There are models that, when contacting with the material, show a certain light. So, GEM ORO ULTRA TESTER flashes green, if it is a diamond, blue – if it is Moissanite and red – on metal.
If an experienced jeweler set forth the goal of making a skillful imitation of a diamond, then the likelihood that he can give it for a natural diamond. Then household methods may not work, you will only turn to the expert. The specialist has the appliances of the highest accuracy, it will definitely determine the origin of this stone.
Further on the video you can see the differences of Fianit from Diamond.