In the field of making jewelry, emeralds enjoy in great demand. This is one of the most expensive stones that attract the attention of the charming green color. Due to the high cost and popularity of the stone, there is a risk to spend money on a fake. Modern technologies allow you to create high-quality imitation, which is very difficult to distinguish from real stones. The article will talk about how to distinguish the natural emerald from an artificial crystal, and is it possible to do at home. We also learn what analogs can be found and selling.
The most valuable copies of natural emeralds can boast high transparency. Muddy stones are more accessible and occur more often. Many specimens have inclusions of gas, liquids and other minerals that make emeralds opaque. To reveal the beauty of the stone, in front of engraving and selling it to special chemical compositions. What colors swings, then in nature there are emeralds of various color.
Coloring varies from yellow-green to green with blue sweat. The main color is green, including dark and rich tone.
Check authenticity of natural gems is very difficult, however, the methods are available. The most reliable option is to ask for help professional expert. Methods of testing ultraviolet radiation is very popular, but it does not always give the necessary result. This method helps to determine the authenticity of the stone, distinguishing it from glass and other imitation. It is worth noting that Artificially created and natural gems when translucent may have the same color.
Chelsea Filter – Another method that specialists use to recognize fake. It is not suitable for home use. With it, you can define a synthetic product, but against some types of artificial stones he is useless. On the basis of specially equipped complexes, gems are checked according to the following characteristics:
- light refraction+
- Other parameters.
Several centuries ago to distinguish the natural stone from the fake, they were weighed. Now this method of checking is also found. Special scales for jewelry. It is worth noting that special equipment is used for analysis.
Also do not do without knowledge and skills. Experts assure that in some cases natural splashes are confused with conventional air bubbles. According to the appearance of stamits and bubbles, the specialist is able to determine where the gem was produced, which material was used to simulate. The faceted emerald examines about 2 meters away. Natural mineral is slightly overflowing at such a distance.
Natural stones have appropriate certificates issued by the staff of hemological laboratories. They confirm the natural origin of the gem.
These documents are desirable to check before the acquisition of stone.
Ways to determine the nature of the stone
There are a number of techniques that can use each to determine the nature of the origin of the gem. To find out the naturalness of the crystal, take advantage of the following recommendations.
- Trademark. Before going to the jewelry store, it is advisable to get acquainted with reliable and proven brands. By purchasing products of famous trademarks, you increase the chances of buying high quality goods.
- Water. Immerse natural gem in a glass with clean water. Natural Gems often acquire red.
- Glass. Imitation of glass have too large sizes, with their face fuzzy. Another characteristic of the copy of this material is quickly heated in my hands.
- Layers. Natural stones obtained in natural conditions do not possess lamination. In this connection, the gems must be carefully examined. Work is carried out with full lighting. Bonding place says that you have a doublet or triplet. Bubbles indicate that one of the fake layers is glass.
- Synthetics. Synthetic gems can be distinguished by proper growth lines and smooth, parallel colors. Natural copies do not possess so clearly well-coordinated geometry.
- External features. Excessively transparent stone says that before you artificial gem or copy of glass. For such products, liquid splashes are not uncommon. Natural Material Materials are blackout, as well as elements such as rubbing. Such imperfections are called Jardin.
- Color. The ideal coloring to attract the attention of a potential buyer may indicate fake. Also, fakes have an overly smooth surface. Often natural gems may have intersions of the following colors: blue, brown and yellow. The edges of the raw material are lighter compared to the core.
- Shine. Gems of natural origin have a weak dispersion (Light game). Cheaper gems, such as zirconium, are bright spursuse.
- Price. This stone can not cost cheap. For the price some copies are not inferior to diamonds. It is also recommended to make a purchase in a proven jewelry store.
Common fakes and imitation
Instead of natural gems, the following copies are offered:
- Duplegets and thrills+
- Fakes from glass+
- Stones grown artificially+
Such options are visually very similar to natural stones, but are not. The most popular way to deceive the gullible buyer is to offer a more affordable and common gem instead of an emerald. There are many crystals that, according to external features and other characteristics, are similar to the dear stone of green. Most often, the following options are used:
- Camps – a stone called green grenade+
- Due to the smaller number of special reflective elements in the tourmaline, it does not so glitter as natural emerald, however, it is also often used as a replacement+
- Fluorite is very difficult to distinguish from natural emerald, this crystal is very similar to Colombian Emerald+
- Demantoid has a herbal green color, there are often splashes of green, after cutting stone becomes like emerald.
Stones made of two connected parts are called dupelites, and from three – triplets. The first such copies appeared in the time of ancient Greece. Several plates of gems reliably fasten each other using special compositions. Often used faceted beryl. For a more attractive visual effect, a color gasket is added.
In some cases, in the creation of imitation use real emeralds. Natural Gems of Natural Origin are connected by other low quality minerals. The most popular crystals for the manufacture of doublet and triplets are also quartz, Smaragd and Spinel. One of the layers can be from ordinary glass.
There are evidence indicating that emerald is the second crystal, which was grown in laboratory conditions. Great demand was provoked by the high cost of emeralds. Work on the creation of synthetic stone led a group of specialists, so now it is almost impossible to determine the name of the scientist who made a copy. Some sources indicate that the first synthetically emerald appeared in Germany, about the 30s of the last century. After that, experts from America and the USSR have achieved success in this direction.
Currently, due to the development of technologies, the process of creating crystals has become easier, but still considered time consuming and long. Without special equipment and knowledge to grow gem is impossible. Modern fakes are characterized by beauty and other characteristics. High-quality fakes attract attention to a low price, saturated color and expressive light game.
In jewelry stores, such products are not uncommon, however, sellers are obliged to warn the buyer that in front of it synthetic emerald.
The glass fakes are significantly inferior in quality to other products, although qualitatively cut copies may have an expressive color. Natural emeralds began to replace specimens from this available material in the Middle Ages. In those distant times, the quality of fakes left much to be desired. Later, the glass was significantly transformed due to the work of Venetian craftsmen. Despite their efforts, there were no widespread such fakes.
To date, a special beryl glass is boiled for the manufacture of artificial crystals. To obtain the desired coloring in it, chrome is added. Only a professional jeweler will be able to determine the counterfeed.
Green bottle glass is also used to create imitation. A small piece of material is treated and insert into the decoration.
How to distinguish natural emerald from artificial, look in the following video.