Foot for sewing machines – not just an accessory, And the mandatory element of the design, holding and promoting the material strictly in the specified borders. Their description and purpose, species and use often cause many questions. Therefore, those who seriously decided to take a sew, you should know everything about foots for sewing machines.
Description and appointment
Novice seamans are usually needed Minimum kit to create a straight line or seam “Zigzag”. More experienced craftsmen, you may need a walking and adhesive foot for the machine, marking or with a triple Promotion. In any case, the wider the range of operations performed by the technique, the more diverse the need will be to acquire additional components to it.
Paws for sewing machines are clamping elements with removable design necessary for fixing the material into one or more layers on the surface of the bed. Their use allows you to perform various operations: making kanta, sew the oblique bay and buttons, pump zipper, sew edges. Paws for decorative works facilitate the decoration of the material with beads, cords, braid, allow you to make embroidery, appliqués. There are special clamping elements for skin, and fur, jeans, quilting and patchwork.
Depending on the purpose of the paws are made of metal, plastic, teflon, have mitigating rubber lining. In the design of the sewing machine, they are fixed on a special rod – a lap container that performs the movement up and down, is fixed using a screw or special quick-consuming clamp.
Depending on the operations performed by the sewing machine, there are highly specialized and widespread options. For example, one-headed (or one-sided) foot is used when adjusting lightning, and in combination with triple advancement, it is used when cant or cedera enters. But these operations are needed mainly when creating bags, wallets, accessories, where you want to form a hard frame that can hold the shape of the product. In other cases, the presser foot is needed for sewing in a straight line, for the sewing of the gum.
There are such varieties.
Standard Sewing / Zigzag
This is a universal version, made of metal. Foot is used when sewing in a straight line or serrated line, while preserving the specified step.
The default is in the configuration of all sewing machines.
It is also referred to as the top conveyor, sometimes included in the machine package in addition to the main leg. The main task of this accessory is to prevent the displacement of the layers of the fabric when sewing the skin, suede, drape and other thick materials.
In addition, walking paws are needed for shifting blankets, plaid.
For oblique bay, or “snail”
Special foot, which refers to the prepared oblique beaker or material for its creation. Passing through the device, the fabric finishes around the edge of the bending strip. During the attachment of Beyk, it does not shifted, it lies at exactly, at the same time from two sides. Seam remains only to stretch the fabric under the paw.
There are options for surface and counted sewing, left and right one-sided. What to choose, each wizard decides on your own. As a rule, lightning foot is included in the full package of machine.
Used for fast and neat sewing buttons with parallel holes. To work, use a zigzag line of the desired width. In the presence of a valve plate, it is put down.
If there is no such detail, you can simply turn off the lower conveyor.
Niza bending foot has a different width of the working element. Fiberation tissue is doubled automatically.
Special foots for stretch, highly stretched tissues do not allow the material threads to pass into the hole of the needle plate, while maintaining the stitches. The sole of such a conveyor is equipped with An additional rubber overlay that prevents sagging fabrics.
Working with knitted legs is recommended only at low speeds.
To create hopes
The paws of this type are used in the formation of decorative hopes located in parallel, as well as for sewing cords. On the conveyor there are special teeth, eliminating line offset.
Used in needlework – from embroidery and appliqués to patchwork. Creates seams with different distances between threads and step.
With such a conveyor do not have to manually give up the product. Adjusting the assembly frequency is made by changing the width of the stitch and tension of the upper thread.
For narrow bending
Such a foot allows you to create a neat seam along the edge of thin and delicate tissues, at the same time bending them inside.
For parallel lines
This type of paws can be equipped with special guides. Provides The possibility of uniform formation of two walking seams.
Used when working with leather and suede. Prevents fmining and deformation of the material. Seams are smooth, without tightening and passes.
Such legs are produced in design for decorative works, and standard sewing. Provide the creation of a lines without tightening even on an elastic material, allow you to maintain the specified indentation from the edge when sewing in a straight line. Most often, the paws with the limiter are used in the industrial production of textiles, when firming sections, creating secret stitches or upsetting. Such accessories are divided into models:
- intended for cars with triple Promotion+
- With a movable (shift) limiter+
- Finishing (right and left)+
- For Double Promotion Technology+
- For patchwork+
- for secret sewing.
Can replace teflon when working with leather. In this case, the promotion of the material will occur due to the effort of the torque moment. It is often used to sewing raincoats, jackets, coats.
As part of such a foot, there is a cutting element that hangs the edge before the subsequent markup. When sewing you need to follow, so that the edge of the matter flew to the guide as close as possible.
The modern market offers a huge amount of goods for sewing. What manufacturers can be trusted by choosing foots for sewing machines? Among industry leaders, some companies can be distinguished.
- Janome. Japanese company, one of the world market leaders, has existed since 1921, its modern name is wearing since 1954. Has its own factories in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan. The company also owns the American division and the Swiss brand Elna. The company offers a very wide range of paws, is a pioneer in the production of machines for fastening fabric, embroidery and other operations related to decorative seams and lines.
A big plus is the presence of Janome representative offices around the world – it is not difficult to buy the right detail.
- Astralux. Firm from Singapore, one of the youngest in the world, production is carried out in Taiwan, based on Zeng Hsing Industrial Co. From 2003 to 2013, Astralux managed to make colossal jerks and from an explicit outsider turned into almost the industry leader, confidently entering the top three world brands. The company has a Russian representative office, which allows you to guarantee access to all the necessary components among the first.
Astralux foots are focused on everyday use, adapted to work with different types of materials.
- Brother. Japanese corporation having its own factories in the USA, Asian countries, the EU. Working since 1908, has been presented in the international market since 1947. Today produces not only sewing machines, but also a wide range of other electronic technology. The layer row of the paws is quite diverse, in Russia you can buy both original components and universal, compatible equipment from other manufacturers.
- MerryLock G. Firm specializes in the production of sewing equipment and components for it. Based in Taiwan, is considered one of the main innovation suppliers to the world market. You can find Merrylock G foots for the most complex technological operations, working with leather and tissues, overclocking and for disintegration machines.
- PROFI SET. The brand from the budget segment of the market, specializes in the production of paws in sets. Belongs to Taiwanese DONWEI. The main fame of the trademark acquired among lovers of patchwork and quilting.
Separately it is worth considering manufacturers “Podolsk” and “Seagull”, which make components predominantly for their cars, it is impossible to adapt to use in the technique of other manufacturers.
Most major Asian and European firms details are interchangeable.
Tips for choosing
When choosing a foot for sewing machines, you should remember the main thing: accessories for household models and professional equipment have significant differences. Do not choose the first set or separate components without refining this moment. In addition, the paws must be compatible with a specific manufacturer’s technique. Many brands prefer to produce components for their cars and do not recommend using abnormal details.
If you want to get equipment for sewing with a wide range of default options, it is worth paying attention to the package. Than it will be wider, the less accessories will have to buy. Teflon and plastic conveyors most often have highly specialized use. They should not be purchased for everyday sewing. It should be borne in mind that Accessories for working with the decor most often have to buy separately, Find a device for working with beads or embroidery in the full package is quite difficult.
How to use?
Many questions arise in the use of foot for sewing machines. What recommendations here should be observed? It should be noted especially important moments.
- When working with oblique baking, you can avoid manual tack of fabric strip. It is enough to take a paw with the device “Snail” and fill this material into it. All other operations will be completed automatically. So that the seam was even and beautiful, the width of the beaks must match the indicators specified in the instructions, otherwise the matter will simply renew inside. For the unfolded and finished edging there are its own holes – they do not match, you need to first figure out what and where to refuel.
- Poots for sewing buttons are intended only for flat products. It is worth considering. To sew with their help a button on the leg will not work.
- When filing a secret zipper start a line need from above. To correctly fix the closet teeth, it is enough to change the needle position.
- Not only a foot will help achieve an ideal knitted seam. The best result gives her combination with special needles.
- When sewing dense and thick tissues, jeans are recommended to set the average position of the needle, the length of the stitch, close to the maximum (5 mm for household machines). In combination with a special paw, needle № 100.
- If when working with especially multi-layered areas, you need the maximum lifting of the foot, but it does not sew, it is worth using pad plates that allow you to eliminate the difference in the height range. It is worth remembering that the conveyor works solely in a horizontal position.
How to change?
Old mechanical and electromechanical models of sewing machines for the replacement of the paws had to unscrew the attachment screw. The screwdriver was included in the kit, and the entire operation took a couple of minutes. Modern manufacturers have simplified this process. Remove the paw from the rod can be with one click on the lever on its user opposite. To install a new fixture, you just need to lower the holder to his socket before clicking. If everything is done correctly, When lifting the lever, the whole design will start moving up.
About what paws for sewing machine are really needed, you can learn more.