The modal is a unique environmentally friendly material and is widely used when sewing clothes. He is obliged to highly popular with its growing popularity and the optimal combination of artificial and natural fibers properties.
What is it and what is?
The modal refers to the category of semi-synthetic viscose fabrics and is known since the 30s of the last century. However, at that time, the material was used exclusively for industrial purposes and was not used for sewing. But approximately in the 50s, Pragmatic Japan became interested in the production of Modala, and in the late 60s, Austria was joined to the release of Modala. To date, the manufacture of fabric is engaged in many enterprises around the world, delivering high-quality and very practical material to the market.
In its composition, the modal is one of the varieties of viscose, For the production of which is used exclusively unprocessed chlorine cellulose beech, eucalyptus or pine. The production process of modula is to process wood chips by extracting cellulose fibers from it with subsequent chemical treatment of the obtained substance.
The essence of such treatment consists in passing cellulose through the filters – perforated forms of high strength, followed by dipping into a special solution. As a result of this technology, it is possible to get durable fibers that are distinguished by extraordinary ease and subtlety. Due to these peculiarities of production, the modal can be attributed to artificial materials that are based on natural fibers.
At the next stage of production, thin threads come to weaving machines, where, in fact, the manufacture of the canvas passes. Weaving fibers in the manufacture of modala can be performed in two ways that give two absolutely different types of canvas.
- First view The fabric is made using one-sided weaving and is a thin and smooth material, remindingly resembling Silk.
- Second view, On the contrary, it has a terry, similar to a velvet surface and externally resembles a soft knitwear. Such canvas are manufactured by double-sided weaving and have a wider scope of application, rather than a fabric with one-sided weaving.
In addition to the technology of weaving, the modal can be classified by two more signs: the composition and structure of the fibers. According to these criteria, micromodeal and blended fabrics are isolated.
The micromodeal is a sophisticated version of the traditional modal and is distinguished by a high fortress and an even longer service life than its prototype. The thickness of one filament of the micromodal is almost 40 times thinner of the human hair, which makes the fabric unusually elastic and light. So, the thread of 10,000 meters long weighs only 1 gram.
This modification modification is widely used to sewing underwear, Sports clothes, as well as for the manufacture of female tights and losine.
The advantages of micromodal products are the unfortunate to burn apart, the brightness of the colors, the excellent fit of the shape and the absence of shrinkage and deformation after washing.
In addition, such products are easily erased and do not require ironing.
Mixed fabrics are made by adding spandex, wool and cotton to cellulose fibers. This significantly reduces the cost of the material and gives it additional qualities of the fibers included in its composition. The most popular is the combination of modal cotton, where the proportion of the natural component can reach 50%. This ratio significantly improves the performance of Modala, makes it pleasant to the touch and promotes the improvement of air exchange.
Another popular combination is a mixture of modala, viscose and wool. As a result, it turns out a warm and soft to the touch material, which is not suitable for the manufacture of winter jumpers and tights. For sewing of home clothes, a modal is often used with the addition of spandex: such things are well erased, absolutely do not impenet, and for a long time, the initial appearance remains.
High consumer demand for clothing, stitched from Modala, due to the number of important advantages of this material.
- An important operational property of the material is the absence of deformation and shrinkage in the process of socks and after washing. Thanks to this quality, the modal and micromodeal are often used to sewing sports trousers and tights and do not allow knees to delay.
- The material is distinguished by high wear resistance, does not roll and not rubs.
- The fabric has a pronounced dirt-repellent property, and also easily erased and does not require soaking.
- Hypoallergenicity of the material due to the absence of substances in its composition and harmful impurities allows to use it to people with particularly sensitive and problem skin.
- Due to the special structure of cellulose yarns and modern coloring technologies, the dye deeply penetrates the fibers of the fabric and is not washed after numerous styrices.
- The modal has a pronounced hygroscopicity: the fibers quickly absorb sweat and also evaporate his outwards. In addition, the modal is very well ventilated and promotes the full air exchange between the human body and the environment.
- The fabric has high decorative characteristics, which allows it to be used not only for home and sports, but also for casual wear. Things from modala are distinguished by softness and unusually low weight.
Unlike other artificial canvases, the modal is not inclined to accumulate static electricity.
Along with a lot of obvious advantages, Weaknesses in Modala still have:
- The minuses include the likelihood of skin irritation, which can manifest itself itching and redness+
- In addition, the cost of products from Modala is somewhat higher than the cost of things from other synthetic materials with similar properties+
- The disadvantages include rather high flavors of the fabric, which is why it is strictly prohibited in such clothes near open fire.
In which products used?
By itself 100% modal is not used very often and costs quite expensive. Basically, blended fabrics are used, in its composition, in addition to modala, other materials. Such canvas are used for sewing bed sets, home clothes, household textiles, including wipes for wet and dry cleaning, and underwear.
From Modala make socks and tights, as well as sew skirts, blouses, bathrobes, t-shirts, T-shirts, sports costumes, night shirts and pajamas. Such widespread modal is due to its high hygienic properties and the ability to thermostat.
In the cold season in such clothes is not cold, and in the summer months – not hot.
How to care for cloth?
Modal does not apply to capricious fabrics and does not require specialized care.
- You can wash the material both in your hands and in the car at a water temperature not higher than 40 degrees. If automatic washing is used, then the most optimal will be a delicate wash mode or any other mode with a similar number of revolutions. As detergent, you can use any type of powder, except for whitening. Clothing should be executed on medium speed, and with manual washing things need to be slightly squeezed, laughing with a towel and rave on her shoulders or rope.
- In no case can not leave a wet thing in a crumpled state. The material will dry quite quickly, and if clothes dry in this form, it will be problematic to smooth out the elevations and folds. In order to correct the situation and bring a thing in a neat look, you will have to wet it once again and re-dry. However, if the product is dried by all the rules, then it does not need it in the iron. Fibers are capable of self-distributing and do not require additional measures to their smoothing.
- If all the same clothes have to iron, then it should be done on medium heating, having sapped fabric through gauze. You can stroke and without gauze. To do this, the product is turned, lower the temperature to the “Shelk” mode, which corresponds to one point on the iron knob and carefully smoothed. If there are other fibers in modala, then it is necessary to consider their properties when ironing. Ironing recommendations are always indicated on the product label, so before being taken for the iron, you must read carefully with them.
- A number of manufacturers, in general, do not recommend erase products from modala and allow dry cleaning extremely. This requirement also needs to be taken into account and in no case to disregard them.
Comparison with other tissues
If you compare the modal with other tissues, you can note the following: the material is much superior to the cotton in the ability to maintain color and, unlike natural canvases, almost never. In addition, it is much better thanks sweat and dries faster. Also in comparison with the cotton cannol, the modal is more like pleasured to the touch and is able to serve a lot longer cotton. In terms of influence on the skin, it is noticeably losing with cotton products and unlike them can cause local allergic reactions.
If we compare the modal and viscose, then the modal wins the uncommunicable victory.
However, the indicators of elasticity is slightly lower than that of the viscose canvas, so viscose wins here. In addition, in its strength and silkiness, the modal is much superior to the bamboo similar to it, and the smoothness and shiny surface can compete on equal only.
In general, consumers highly appreciate the working qualities of Modala. Among the advantages note the good absorption of moisture, which makes towels and bath sheets from this material are very convenient to use. Attention is drawn to the fact that the modal is often used when sewing clothes for pregnant women, which speaks of its harmlessness and environmental safety. The fact that the fabric is practically not needed to be ironic, and things from it can be put immediately after drying, which, by the way, also happens quite quickly.
However, several people who left the reviews about the modal, confuse his flavors. But for the sake of justice it is worth noting that this is perhaps the only drawback that is attributed to the modal consumers. In general, the modal is estimated as a comfortable, wearing and practical material that is quick and easily dispersed, does not pull and not roll, and also keeps the original appearance throughout the entire time socks and pleases the owners of the paint brightness.
Overview of several types of modala is presented in the video below.