Countertops from DSP today can no longer be considered the most popular, and yet they have a certain number of fans. At the very least, many manufacturers still do not refuse to issue products from a material that is so often criticized by certain layers of the population. This means that some demand remains, therefore, it is worth meeting with the countertops from the chipboard closer.
Advantages and disadvantages
Another couple of decades ago, a tabletop for a kitchen from the chipboard was a massive phenomenon, but today it was largely fastened to more modern materials. The fact that the chipboard has not yet disappeared completely, Speaks about the presence of certain advantages of its use, which should be considered attentively.
- Low cost. We can safely say that this is the main selection criterion, since any more cheaper alternatives simply does not exist.
- Variety of colors and textures. Kitchen countertops from chipboard may look completely different because the material involves simple processing, it can be painted and even contain a complex print.
- Resistance to burnout. Pigment that gives a monophonic plate color can be embedded in the substance even at the stage of manufacture, because ultraviolet rays are not afraid.
- Relevance in the kitchen. Immediately make a reservation that all these advantages are relative, however, the ds app is capable of carrying high temperatures and mechanical impact, it is also practically indifferent to the activity of food acids.
- Laminated coating. In most cases, a laminated version of a plate, which has no pores, is used in the kitchen, and therefore it is not amenable to damaging moisture and does not absorb dirt.
Despite all the above qualities, it is indisputable to the fact that most of the alternative materials are superior to the chipboard for the main characteristics, this is why the chipboard and gave way to competitors their championship. Applicable disadvantages include a number of patients.
- Formaldehyde as part. In recent decades, humanity is increasingly closely related to toxins, at least in their own home. Chipboard contains a lot of outsiders of “chemistry”, which can be released into the air. Manufacturers declare that reduced the amount of toxic adhesive and resins in the composition, and the lamination from all sides prevents allocations from all sides, but you must understand that the risk does not go anywhere.
- Blowing from moisture. If the water finds the opportunity to get through the layer of laminate to the wood-chip core, it will definitely make the last swell. The consequences will be strain and loss of an attractive appearance or even the usability of the table.
- Doubtful reliability of laminate. The two above points show that without solid lamination of chipboard – the material is pretty dubious. Meanwhile, damage the laminating layer is quite easy – knife, alkalis or concentrated acids.
What is postforming?
Considering the aforementioned dubious qualities of the slab, which it has in an unprotected form, the production of tabletops usually directly assumes that the finished product as an outer layer will have a certain “wrapper” that protects too fragile and potentially dangerous extruded chips. At the same time, most of the bona fide producers prefer to optimize the operation of the slab due to the method called post-forming.
The essence of him is that Lamination plastic occurs at high temperatures and with the participation of a special press. The layer of plastic coating acquires smooth bends, due to which the finished countertop will not be sharp corners or sections – it will become smooth and slope from all sides. This form significantly minimizes the risk of injury, and also contributes to additional core protection against moisture penetration.
There are two main types of plates made by the method of post-forming. The simplest is called L-type, in this case plastic covers the chipboard on one side and the end. An even more effective is the so-called U-type when the plastic layer “hugs” a countertop on both sides.
Types of coatings
Laminated chipboard for additional protection against negative external influences and improving the appearance outside are covered by different materials, which are only called a general term “laminate”. Protected sheet briefly called LDSP. Its specific characteristics depend on what kind of laminate version was used.
Most often use four basic material, each of which should be considered separately.
- Melamine film. In fact, it is kraft, which is impregnated with a special melamine resin for greater reliability. The thickness of the protective layer is even slightly less than half a million, but this coating may have the most unexpected colors and drawings, and therefore is in great demand.
- Plastic. One of the most running variants of the laminate, which, at a relatively low price, provides sufficient parameters for the protection of the chipboard. Plastic coating There are two types – sheet high pressure and rolled continuous pressure. According to most criteria, both options are identical to each other, and differ mainly in thickness – the second much thinner of the first (0.15-1.5 mm against 0.5-6 mm).
- Veneer. This option of lamination could be valued very high if it were as practical as beautiful. On top of the wood-chip plate is laid out with a veneer, everything is painted on top, thanks to which the finished countertop seems like a natural array of wood and looks simply amazing. At the same time, the product is not distinguished by moisture resistance at all, and it is also very easy to scratch it, because in the kitchens such a finish is infrequently.
- Stainless steel. Perhaps not to completely call such a material with laminate and still they can sample countertops from chipboard. With the right approach to the design, it may look quite beautiful, moreover, it is also quite practical, but such a decision will cost the customer quite expensive, because the option is usually appropriate only in public institutions.
Countertops from any material are both ready-made manufacturer in standard dimensions and sold in a construction hypermarket and individual – those are made to order, and therefore can have any forms and sizes. A separate manufacture of a single copy, naturally, is more expensive, and since the chipboard is often chosen precisely because of the cheapness, it is clear that individual orders from this material are rare.
The thickness of the table top is one of the most important characteristics, since for a relatively fragile (compared to the same stainless steel, MDF or ceramics), it gives a certain margin of safety. Standards 28 and 60 mm are rather common, but the most chassis is considered to be 38 mm thick.
In principle, if some outstanding loads are not expected, you can use the slab of any thickness from among those presented in the nearest store.
The width of the tabletop from the chipboard is even more variable – the stove can have both 400 mm width and 1200 mm. Postforming inevitably adds centimeter to another to the length of the table top, because it is necessary to specify whether his protrusion is included in the claimed indicator or not. You need to choose the width of the product so that the hosts can easily reach the far edge of the table top located at the wall, and therefore most often choose a model of 600 mm wide.
The advantage of tabletops from a chipboard is also the fact that the range includes models of different lengths – from 2450 to 4100 mm. This is especially important, given the fact that the pruning of the product is undesirable – by this you break the protective contour of the laminate.
Due to the variety of sizes, you can choose such a slab that will most accurately fit into the dimensions of your kitchen.
A feature of the chipboard is that in the process of production to the pressed chips, you can mix the pigment of any color, so that the finished product does not even have to be painted – it will have a certain shade at the exit from the conveyor. Most often, production is focused on the most running colors, which can be attributed black, white and shades of wood. Plus such a color is that it does not fade.
If you need a chipboard, like any other material, you can still paint outside, including printing or drawing on its surface. At the same time, decorating usually there are not so much chipboard, how much is the outer layer of plastic or another laminate. Manufacturers usually do not offer intricate design options, the riding complexity for them is some kind of pattern.
Wanting to apply something more original on the slab, the consumer will have to order an individual models.
How to choose?
Regardless of whether you need a tabletop for a table or as a cover for a kitchen headset, the first thing worth paying attention is Gabarits. The length and width of the product are due not so much by your own wishes, how many kitchen room dimensions, which usually puts its owner in a close frame.
What concerns Thicks, then it is usually chosen randomly, if only you are trying to imitate. For example, Chipboard, on the design of a natural stone, just can not be too thin – From this it will seem implausible and spoil the interior.
It is important to choose correctly decor Countertops so that it competently combined with the color scheme of the room, and with the style of its design.
If the chipboard simulates another material, it should be appropriate: “Metal” will fit better in the kitchen in the style of High-tech, and the “tree” is perfectly combined with ethnic design.
It is worth thinking about, How will the tabletop. In many cases, the hostesses are engaged in cutting products directly on it, and that the scratches and other mechanical damages may not be thrown into the eyes, you should give preference to the matte plate with a motley color, which will shrink the emerging defects.
Finally, It is important that the chipboard itself was as high as possible. Pay attention to the detailed characteristics indicating the degree of waterproof and the emission class, if there is no such information at all, it is already a hint that the product is made if only.
Among other things, make sure that your copy is new and did not suffer during the delivery process.
Operation and care
Chipboard is very afraid of water because It is important to monitor the integrity of the laminating layer, especially in those places where the countertop adjoins the washing and the cooking surface. If depressurization is detected, you need to repair the panel as quickly as possible, using a special sealant.
Put on a tabletop from the chipboard any hot dishes without the use of the thermal insulation stand is unacceptable – With this, with a large probability of the “kill” the panel. Although the chip filler itself is not afraid of high temperatures, the latter can melt the plastic protective layer, and it will not only be ugly, but also dangerous due to the risk of moisture penetration. By the way, the frozen foods lay out on it too – the cold provokes peeling plastic.
On the tabletop with plastic coating it is not recommended to cut products, otherwise the surface can be damaged.
About tabletops from chipboard For kitchen, see the following video.