LED backlight under the cabinets is a very popular solution when arranged kitchens. Properly designed lighting contributes to creating comfortable conditions for the cooking and effectively emphasizes the design of the room.
Illumination under hinged cabinets is an important link of kitchen lighting and allows you to produce zoning the kitchen. With the help of light, you can not only with taste to issue kitchen space, but also make a workplace as convenient and functional as possible. Mount the lighting can be used using various types of lamps, however, The most demanded today are LEDs.
The LED is a semiconductor emitting light when the electricity through it is passing. Diode models are available in a wide color range, greatly highlight small spaces and consume the minimum amount of electricity.
In most cases, as an LED lighting source use LED ribbon. It is placed under the lower tier of wooden kitchen cabinets either inside glass models. The lower location of the LEDs gives furniture soaring appearance and visually facilitates bulky kitchen headsets.
In addition, the variety of colors of modern LED elements allows you to choose lighting depending on its functional purpose. So, if the space under the cabinets is highlighted exclusively in decorative purposes, then An excellent solution will be colored LED tape. If only the work zone is highlighted, it is better to stop your choice on white light. It does not distort the shade of the products and illustrates the cutting table.
Pros and cons
Vectivanity and high popularity of LED backlights are due A number of indisputable advantages of this type of lighting.
- Easy to install LEDs allows you to mount the lighting yourself, without resorting to the services of specialists.
- A long life allows you to use LEDs for 2 decades and not spend money on their replacement. This is one of the main advantages of diodes over incandescent lamps, which have to change quite often.
- The minimum consumption of electricity makes LEDs leader in economy and allows you to significantly save the budget.
- Regardless of the form of release, the LEDs begin to glow on the full power from the first second after the inclusion. They do not need time to warm up, and the number of inclusions / shutdowns in no way affects the duration of their operation.
- Unlike incandescent lamps, LED light sources do not heat themselves and do not heat the air indoors. This is especially important in the cuisine, where the air and so much warmed up.
- LED illumination fireproof: it does not explode from random droplets of water and can work in high humidity.
- A wide range of products allows you to choose a lighting element for any kind of kitchen cabinets, regardless of their configuration and design. Moreover, there are a lot of wireless false lamps on batteries, to connect which you do not need to pull the wires to the nearest power supply.
The flaws of the LED backlight are practically no. By cons can be attributed only to its high cost, which is a very conditional disadvantage, since costs quickly pay off due to low power consumption and long life.
The classification of LED lamps for the kitchen is made according to such signs as the release form and the degree of moisture protection. According to the first criterion, 3 varieties of products are isolated: these are linear and point models, as well as LED tape.
- Linear lamps Sold whole sets, including several ready-made modules at once, and externally resemble luminescent lamps. Such sets are equipped with everything necessary for independent connection, including fasteners and adapter elements. When installing, it is enough to connect them between themselves into a single chain and obtain a rather long light source as a result. Linear models are very convenient for lighting both the entire working area and one cutting table: they give uniform light and do not get blind eyes. In its design, linear luminaires are overhead, suspended, embedded and angular, which allows you to choose the option of any type of installation.
- Point ready-made LED lamps According to the principle of operation, there are little different from linear models, with the only difference, which is small independent products round, square or triangular shape, and are not collected in the overall design. Such diodes have a mortise or overhead, a very small thickness and a long service life. Curling require a niche or hole formation and embedded in the lower cabinet panel. They are in short with its outer surface and look very organic. Installation of embedded models requires a certain experience and accuracy, so trusting it better by professionals. The overhead are mounted on top of the wall of the cabinet and cutting the niche do not require.
Spot and linear models are often equipped with sensory control, allowing you to turn on and off the lighting of one hand. It is very convenient in the cuisine, and such models look quite aesthetic.
- LED Strip Light It is the most popular option for the kitchen illumination and is distinguished by a wide color range, ease of installation and an acceptable cost. Multicolored tapes are used not only to illuminate the working area, but also as a decorating element. Their soft and beautiful light can make the kitchen cozy and give her a romantic look.
The following criterion for the classification of LED lighting sources is the class of moisture protection. It is always indicated on the labeling and must be taken into account when choosing a kitchen illumination.
- IP 20 marking products Absolutely not suitable for wet rooms, which include the kitchen, and are not recommended as a lighting device of working areas.
- Models with IP 41-65 protection class well protected from moisture ingress and suitable for use in kitchens.
- The most powerful and secure are the LEDs with marking IP 68. They have an absolute level of protection and can be installed at least to the bottom of the pool.
Another sign of the difference is the color of the light flux. According to this criterion, the model is divided into monochrome and multicolored. The first are used to illuminate the working area, and the second are often used to highlight wall panels and kitchen aprons.
How to choose?
When choosing a LED backlighting for kitchen cabinets, a number of important points should be taken into account. So, if it is decided to acquire a LED tape, then it should be decisled with its size. The modern lighting equipment market offers LEDs in a wide range with a large variety of sizes and shapes. Therefore, the choice of the desired option depends on the functions that will be assigned to the backlight.
If the tape is purchased as an additional lighting of the working area, where uniform and fairly bright light requires, it will be better to purchase wide products of monochrome execution that can well cover the cutting table and will not distort the color of the products.
For such purposes it will be good Single row ribbon in a closed case width 13 mm. As for the height of the product, everything depends on the type of protection. So, the minimum tape thickness in the open case is 2.2 mm, despite the fact that the closed models can have a thickness of 5.5 and more mm. therefore The choice of thickness depends on the security requirements for one or another area of the kitchen, and remains at the discretion of the hosts.
If the LED backlight will be used exclusively in decorative purposes and is designed to emphasize the design of the room as much as possible, then in such cases you can stay On multicolored single-row models 8 mm wide and up to 3 mm high. And vice versa – in cases where an increase in the illuminated area and illumination intensity is required, it is better to use a double-row model of a width of 15 and more mm with large LEDs.
As for the brightness of the lighting, then Each tape is labeled, indicating how many LEDs are located on the same route meter. For example, a 120 LED / M mark indicates that each meter of the tape contains 120 LEDs.
In this case, we are talking about a two-row model, single-row samples with LEDs of the same size have only 60 diodes per meter, which corresponds to the labeling 60 LED / M.
In addition to the number of LEDs on the route meter, their size affects the intensity of lighting. There are both very small diodes with a size of 3.5×2,8 mm and quite overall samples 5.0×5.0 and 5.7×3.0 mm.
For convenience, the marking of such LEDs looks like SMD3528, SMD5050 and SMD5730 respectively. A wide variety of sizes of LED elements allows them to be located on a ribbon in an amount of from 30 to 240 pieces. LED tape for kitchen illumination is available in coils up to 5 m long. This form of release is very convenient and allows you to purchase exactly as many ribbons as required for decoration of the cabinet.
The following important point is the choice of power supply (transformer). The main thing is to choose this option so that its power is enough for the correct operation of the lamp, but at the same time it was not excessively high. Calculate the optimal power is very simple, you only need to take advantage of a special formula. For example, for a LED tape with a length of 5 m, with a power of 12 W and the size of the LED elements 5×5 mm, the calculation will look like this: 12 W multiply on 5 m and we get 60.
Then we provide some power supply, multiplying this number on the coefficient of 1.25. As a result, we obtain the number 75, which will mean the power of the transformer. Thus, for a 5-meter tape with a capacity of 12 W with large LEDs with a size of 5×5 mm, a transformer with a capacity of 75 W is required.
This formula is universal and can be used for LEDs of any power and length.
In addition to power, when choosing a transformer It is necessary to pay attention to its body. To date, the power supplies are produced in plastic, aluminum solid and aluminum perforated cases.
Plastic models are quite sealed, have small sizes and a small weight. Whole aluminum options are noticeably more expensive than plastic and are characterized by resistance to external mechanical effects. Perforated enclosures have large dimensions and stand relatively inexpensively. Essential drawback is The need for additional moisture protection, and the benefits are Ability to use one device immediately for several LED LINE LINES.
The following criterion for selecting the backlight under the kitchen cabinet is Select a switch that can be sensory, infrared or push-button. The latter is a simple mechanical design and works with the button connected with the relay. The relay, in turn, closes or opens the chain and is an old proven device.
Sensory switches are equipped with particularly sensitive sensors instantly responding to the touch of fingers. Infrared models are equipped with a built-in motion detector and react on hand wave.
If the backlight is purchased in decorative purposes, then It is better to stop your choice on models having a dimmer and control unit. The first is a special switch designed to regulate the light flux, and the second is necessary for the inclusion of different kinds of effects, such as flashing, flickering, transfusion, and the like.
In addition, when choosing a backlight It is necessary to focus on the products of well-known manufacturers who have a good reputation and produce high-quality goods.
Nuances of Montaja
The complexity of the installation of the LED backlight under the kitchen cabinets depends on the form of the release of the LED lamp. So, the installation of overhead point models operating from the batteries does not cause any difficulties, and any housewife can perform it. A little harder is the case with the installation of LED tape, before installing it, it is advisable to get acquainted with some process subtleties.
- Cut the tape only in certain places. Typically, the manufacturer inflicts special marks for which a cut can be made. To do this, you can use simple scissors, as the substrate with copper paths has not too much thick and perfectly cut.
- If you need to install several long tapes at once, the connection is made to the shared unit and is performed in parallel with polarity.
- Electrical cable connecting the power supply with LED ribbon, it is desirable to connect using soldering, as it is much more reliable than connectors. Connection locations necessarily seal by crimping heat shrink tubes. The use of insulating tape is also allowed, however, look such connections will be ugly.
- Installation of a keyboard or push-button switch is performed before the power supply, and the dimmer or RGB block – after it. The touch switch can be installed immediately before ribbon.
- Fix the LED tape on the bottom side of the kitchen cabinet using double-sided adhesive tape. Before the sticker of the LED, it is necessary to properly degrease the surface using a composition that cannot damage the furniture surface. Initially, it is recommended to easily “stand” tape in several places, make sure that it lay exactly on the markup, and only after that press it along the entire length. Often you can meet models equipped with a sticky surface, which greatly facilitates installation and does not require the acquisition of bilateral scotch.
- In order for the LEDs located under the closet, they do not blindly blind, but lit only the working area, it is recommended to use special boxes that guide the light stream down.
- To increase the life of the backlight, twist or bend the tape is prohibited.
- Sometimes the installation of LED lamps requires niches and holes, which can be made by the usual electric jig.
- To create the effect of dispersion of light and light spots, you can use an aluminum profile equipped with high sideboard or light scattering film.
If there is a desire to mask the LED ribbon as much as possible and make it imperceptible on the furniture surface, you can use a guide profile that has the same color as the cabinet.
Beautiful examples in the interior
LED lamps are not only well highlighted workspace, But are an effective tool to complete the image of the kitchen.
- Beautiful backlight on the corner headset – a stylish solution for modern kitchen.
- The combination of internal illumination of cabinets with the lighting of the working area looks very effectively and original.
- Linear LED lamp in a closed case does not blind eyes and looks very neat.
- Built-in point LEDs in the classic interior give the kitchen romantic image.
- Outline triangles lamps will be the perfect option for ultra-modern interiors.
- Corner overhead models on batteries are easily mounted and perfectly suitable for the style of minimalism.
How to make your own hands backlight under the kitchen cabinet, look in the following video.