The steering column of the bike is a functional node, without which the bike would only go straight, without having the opportunity to roll aside. On such a bike, you would not go far, we would not go to the other side and not on the streets. When you turn, you would stay, and without piring a bike, no matter how quickly I was driving, fell on the side with you.
The steering column contains all the necessary parts for the steering. It includes the following elements.
- Steering trumpet – for her cyclist holds hands when driving. It is located accessories and gadgets.
- Rule drive – A shortened pipe to which the steering “stick” is fixed with the help of a bolted bracket or retainer.
- Carrier tube – Detail with internal fasteners, rigidly fixed with fork. That, in turn, holds the front wheel of the bicycle. The steering turns coincide with the accuracy of the degree of degree with turns of the fork and the front wheel in the desired side when driving.
- Steering glass – large pipe diameter, which is part of the frame. For sustainable and smooth operation, the entire mechanism “put” on the cups with ball bearings.
- Bearing kits – Upper and lower – do not let the steering wheel hang. Conical support comes into contact with the bottom set.
Such a scheme is verified by many years of experience in the practice of manufacturers and users of cycling products. The steering column has certain standards and diametrical dimensions discharged from one bicycle model to another.
Varieties of steering columns
There are 4 types of steering mechanisms: threaded, rubber, integrated and semi-integrated. Each of these species is arranged as follows.
In this assembly, the steering tube is fixed by the ending nut. Cutting sliced on the top cup. Advantages – low weight and low cost, is used since since many-speed bicycles did not exist. Disadvantage – the threaded column is complex in the setting and has a reduced reliability. Low moisture proof is guilty: it’s worth a bike to get under the rain, water flows into the steering column.
In general, the design resembles a pedal or wheel sleigh. Over time, the threaded steering column can spontaneously unwind – from time to time check the tightening of all connections.
The structure of the lubricular steering column implies a different method of fastening. The upper and lower cups are clamped in the steering glass itself. In each of the cups, a ball bearing with a guide separator is placed. The mechanism assembly includes 2 stages:
- Inserting special rings and remote pipe steering+
- Fastening the steering tube.
Here, cups and ball bearings are deposited beyond the wheel pipe. The direct load from the fork retainer passes a fruit design. Cutting column as a whole refers to non-integrated type.
A half-integrated mechanism differs from unintegrated in that the bearing crowns in it along with the entire cups are inserted into the steering glass. Always come out only anthers. A half-integrated mechanism consists of a set of details that allow you to easily and accurately adjust the height of the steering wheel.
All assembly has a finished view – both in the section and in general by side. The resulting arrangement of the steering wheel allows the cyclist to use the overall geometry of the bike, creating less sailing while driving against the wind and in the mountain. The fact is that the brown design itself makes it possible to use the “lying” steering wheel. The most fully given effect is felt by bikers with highway bike.
This device is such that There are no cups in such a mechanism at all. Separator with balls is immediately inserted into the steering glass. Furrows for which rolled balls are missing – there are no bulk bearings (without crowns-separators) quickly and will slip, and not rolled through the inner surfaces. For the integrated steering column, the same adapted under the same frame mechanism is needed, it is not interchangeable with the rest of the varieties.
Such a steering wheel, beyond the bicycle, it is more difficult to repair, and the diameters of the pipes have an impressive variation of the nominal.
All steering columns are standards entered by leading suppliers. The goal is to promote your own ideas until we have not yet conquered the market, or protect yourself from the fake from the side of little-known Chinese firms.
- Campagnolo – Semi-integrated column with a cup and ball bearings in conical performance. The bike frame at the same time is sharpened in a special way.
- Perdido – a semi-integrated version of 4 mm from a more widespread zeroStack version.
- Columbus – Classic from the company Aheadset. Protected from fake and non-format refinement with a special value for the diameter of the pipe.
- OnePointFive Standard – Unintegrated steering column for a wide diameter pipe. Several producers here were united to produce parts for “downhill” and other extreme bikes.
- Folding steering column – The prerogative of cycle producers seeking to make a transformer bike, extremely light in transportation in trains and airplanes, as easy as possible in storage in small-scale rooms. Such, for example, bicycle designs from Langtu. The angle of inclination of the folding structure – from 25 degrees.
Classification by parameters much more comprehensive. In the threaded speakers in diameter, the following indicators:
- 1 inch – the outer diameter of cups by 30-30.8 mm, internal – 26.4-27 mm+
- 1.125 inches – 34 and 30 mm respectively+
- 1.25 inches – 37 and 34 mm.
Simple light-offs have the following landing diameters:
- 0.833 inches (EC-32 marker for external diameter) – 32.7 and 26.4 mm for the external and internal diameter of cups, respectively+
- 1 inch (EC-30) – by 30.2 and 26.4 mm+
- 1,125 inches (EC-34) – 34 and 30 mm in diameters+
- one.25 inches (EC-37) – by 37 and 33 mm+
- 1.5 inches (EC-49) – by 49.7 and 39.8 mm+
- 2.21 inches (EC-56) – the outer diameter of 56 mm, the internal is not regulated.
The semi-integrated looting columns have the following outer and inner diameters for bearing parts:
- 1,125 inches (ZC-41) – by 41.3 and 44 mm+
- 1.5 inches (ZC-49) – by 49.7 and 39.8 mm+
- 2.21 inches (ZC-56) – 56 mm for external diameter+
Fully integrated loaves – have the following scattering:
- 1 inch (IS-38) – by 38 and 26 mm+
- 1.125 inches – (IS-41 / 42/7) by 41.3, 41.8, 47 (any of the values for external diameter) and 30 mm (for internal)+
- 2.05 inches (IS-52) – 52 mm for external diameter.
Parameters are indicated on factory packaging with details.
Features of choice and installation
Cups and bearings are desirable to pick up steel. Colmmeters (aluminum alloys), composite materials and plastic are not suitable here – they do not have sufficient hardness and durability, wear resistance. So, aluminum balls are more bursting than wearing – from shocks and vibrations. Plastic and composite rings are quickly wear out both from rolling the balls themselves and separators on them and as a result of sliding along the pipe itself and steering glass.
If when installing a new kit, it turned out that the duct was formed not on cups, balls, rings or separator, and in the steering glass – the replacement is subject to frame, and not the steering kit. Cleaning steering column simply breaks new bearings for several tens of kilometers.
Steering column adjustment immediately, in the assembly process. Once you thoroughly delay the design, incorrectly adjusted removal will not allow you to comfortably ride.
What are the features of the bicycle steering columns, see the following video.