To date, one of the most popular and frequently used types of transport is rightfully bike. This is not only a sports equipment, with which you can keep yourself in the form, but also a convenient means of movement. It is very important not only to buy a bike and learn how to ride it, but also be able to deal with its main components and principle.
In this article we will talk about what is a rattling for a bike, we will define their types and selection criteria.
A ratchet is called one of the elements of the bicycle transmission, which consists of several stars. The latter, in turn, combine with the ratchet mechanism and represent one whole.
The main goal of the mechanism is the transfer of torque from the front sprockets to the rear wheel.
It is due to the presence of a rattling on the bike there is an opportunity to control the speed and power of the wheel rotation.
Therefore, the ratchet is necessary for sports and mountain bikes. Previously, it was installed on old and cheap bikes, and more modern sports models, for example, at 9 velocities, equip no such devices, but cassettes. They look like ratchets, but differ in the number of stars and, of course, visually.
Ratchets differ in each other The number of stars (from 4 to 8 stars) and teeth of different diameters.
The greatest popularity is the ratchet consisting of 6 stars, on which 14-28 teeth can be. And also often buy and set a ratchet 7-star. The number of balls placed in the device bearings may also differ – it depends on the type of mechanism, the type of bicycle to which is installed. About their 35 pieces. But the diameter of them is 1 mm.
Today there are several basic classifications for a bike. So, the ratchets are classified for several signs.
- Material of manufacture. It can be different. Most often used chrome or nickel steel, titanium or aluminum alloy. The mechanism, the stars of which are made of aluminum, the most expensive and durable, but the steel, unfortunately, will not last long.
- Type of construction. It can be collapsible, on a spider or several spiders. Ratchets are installed on bicycles, which have 1, 6, 7, 8 speeds.
Rear Wheel Mechanism Device
The rear wheel sleeve is arranged in such a way that consists of a variety of separate parts, which are interconnected into one mechanism, namely:
- from cone and left flange+
- axis and inner housing ratchet with flange+
- lock nuts and outdoor corps+
- Sleeves and springs.
The basis of the ratchet of the rear wheel is a snoring mechanism. All of the above elements are one. In order to attach a ratchet to the rear wheel, use a special threaded connection, with which the thread ratchet is screwed into the sleeve.
The scheme of the mechanism is as follows:
- Pressure on pedals, which occurs when you click on them is transmitted to the stellars of the mechanism+
- During the transmission of the pressure of “Dogs”, ratchets begin to rest in the sleeve, thereby driving the wheel.
In most cases, if one of the elements fails, it must be replaced, and for this mechanism to fully disassemble.
To perform repair work, be sure to have a special tool called a pulloff puller.
Frequent breakdowns are associated with the fact that bearings are not on the sleeve. Precisely because of this axle when exposed to the strong load on it burst.
How to choose?
The choice of this mechanism needs to be taken very seriously and responsibly, because it depends on it how riding the bike will meet our requirements both by the criteria for speed and safety of movement.
Correct the ratchet on the bike, given a number of criteria.
- Type of bicycle and terrain on which you will ride. For the highway, a product is suitable for the product 11-22 or 11-27, where numbers indicate the range of the number of teeth. For the mining “iron horse” the ideal option will be the mechanism with numerical designation 11-36 and 11-28.
- Cost of mechanism. It depends on 90% on the material from which the ratchet is made. Specialists recommend not to save and not buy the most budget option. A cheap product will very quickly fail, most likely, the axis burst on it. Therefore, it is better to postpone, dig up money, and buy a more expensive and high-quality product.
- Style ride. It is also a very important factor. If you, for example, a supporter of a complex, special style of riding, then you need to buy a device with a maximum number of stars.
- Manufacturer. Do not forget to clarify the seller about the manufacturer. If possible, give preference to a well-known equipment manufacturer and bicycle items. Yes, such a mechanism can cost more, but its price will fully comply with the quality.
And also take into account, So that the sizes of the ratchet perfectly approached the front rods. This is due to the fact that these two mechanisms work in tandem and are connected together, thereby guaranteeing safe movement.
In the video below, you can see a master class on replacing a rattling on a bike.