Dry felting as a kind of needlework is becoming increasingly popular. Its result is most often very cute felt toys or woolen elements of clothes decor. In this technique, you can also do beautiful original decorations, such as broots or beads. And the work techniques are so simple that you can do this type of creativity even with children. You only need to observe some precautions in order not to hurt about sharp tools.
What is Felting?
When they talk about felting, boots come to mind immediately come and we begin to remember how they ride them using water. So, dry technique, which is called felting or polling, is radically different. General is the material for work – fibers of pure wool, in both cases the felt products are obtained. Only wet felting are treated immediately large-scale surfaces, and the felting allows you to make small forms with small details. Principle of Fillerization – Building Fiber Wool with Special Needles by Numerous Processing Materials.
Tools and devices
The main tool for work is the needle, but special. With ordinary sewing her relatives except. And to perform one product, you may need a whole set. The needles differ in several parameters:
- in shape of section+
- In the direction of Zubtsov.
Depending on the thickness of the needle have numbers. The smaller the number, the thicker tool. The coolest needles (№ 28, 30, 32) are carried out the initial dumping of the material. For final processing of products, thin needles are used (No. 38, 40). At different stages of the process, tools with different cross section use. Most often required:
Virtually the entire main work can be made needles with a triangular cross section, gradually replacing fat to thinner. But they leave noticeable holes that are smoothed by “star” needles or “crowns”. The most important element of the named tool is the teeth, they provide the fibers of the wool fibers. Usually breathe needles with a direct direction of the teeth. But when you need to create a fluffy surface, take the “reverse” needles, which engage and pull out the fibers outward.
Folding – the process of time consuming, so it is very important to choose a tool to work comfortably and if possible, Especially if a large product is manufactured. Creative people always seek to improve technology, as a result, a fairly wide range of devices is offered on the market.
There are needles with comfortable handles, but since in the process of work requires different, more practical and cheap option will be the holder with removable needles. There are devices in which several needles are fixed at once (for example, Clover or Gamma).
To perform one felon product, you have to make countless material punctures. Especially enthusiastic needlewomen can greatly facilitate the work of a special machine for felting. However, there is no wide selection on the market today.
Most often in online stores Offered a machine Addi Quick German production. 1 needle is fixed in it, punctures are made to a depth of 2-3 cm. Weighs the machine about 600 grams. For comparison: the weight of any tool for repair work exceeds the specified not less than 2 times. Of the disadvantages of the wizard, quite strong vibrations are distinguished when working, as well as what the supplied needles are often not very good quality. But by their sample you can cut and use any usually used needles.
You can order a machine Simplisity. It is 6-needle, has a protective screen. For safety, it is shutdown when lifting the machine from the treated surface. You can often see homemade options, for example, from a children’s sewing machine. Also, some manage to fix the needles in technical tools, for example, in the jigsaw. But such experiments are still unsafe.
Since in the process of fillering the needle makes deep punctures, it is possible through the entire part to fill, keeping the material in hands or knees, is categorically not recommended. Best do it on a special hard brush with a heavy base.
If you buy this for some reason it does not work, you can use foam or foam rubber with a thickness of at least 3 cm. But the substrate from such materials is unlikely to last long, and it can fall into a manufactured product, which will not improve the result.
Comb – “Pojokerka”
At the end stage, if you need to create a fluffy surface, you will need a comb. Needlewomen call it a boot. You can use a rigid brush, which combed animals.
Valya works create exclusively from wool, but it happens different.
- Crested ribbon – this is not a strained wool, the fibers of which are laid in one direction. They can be different coloring and thickness. The tape with the thinnest fibers is used for final finishes or for felting small parts.
- Cardoches – Wool with slightly confused fibers laid in different directions. Convenient in work, especially for large products.
- Slipper – coarse unpainted wool, which is used for the internal base of large parts. Products filmed entirely of color high-quality material are quite expensive, and the use of creservation reduces their cost.
Sometimes the foundation is made of syntheps, the end result does not worsen. But when the fluffy product is planned and the fibers from the inside will be pulled by the reverse needle, you need to do the top layer quite thick, so that the base material does not appear outside.
Fittings and decor
In the manufacture of toys, additional details will be needed. There are always eyes and spouts for toy animals. But you can make these elements with your own hands, for example, from polymer clay. Or embrace woolen threads. For the mustache usually use a fishing line. If you decide to make the original broach or beads, then the accessories will also need to buy in a specialized store.
In order for the product to be more expressive, the final strokes are applied by conventional paints, most often acrylic. But beginners are recommended to use pastel pencils. They are crushed and the resulting powder is distributed along a woolen surface with a soft tassel.
PEDEAD DESCRIPTION OF THE PROCESS OF FULLING A SLOW TOY as follows.
- When performing work it is better to have a sample before your eyes, for example, a drawing, preferably from several angles. Perfect option – bulk model.
- Need to prepare tools and materials in advance. Needles, especially beginners, it is better to take with a reserve, as they can break, but to interrupt work and urgently run to the store will not be very nice. Decor elements should also be purchased in advance.
- First, the largest parts are performed, usually is a torso and head. Plins of wool pinch off the tape and laid with thin layers to the base. Each layer in the direction at right angles to the previous. The volume of cooked material must exceed the size of the future part of about 3-4 times.
- Then begin to process the needle blanks. While the part is soft, fingers give her shape. The workpiece is constantly rotated, evenly making punctures from all sides.
- On the head of the toy form eyelabies and other parts of the face or face with animal rolling.
- When you need to make the same part in size (for example, paws), the layouts of equal amount of wool are immediately prepared for them and alternately lay alternately, then another. If you fully fit the part, then lay the strands for another, then they will turn out to be different.
- So that parts of the toy can be connected, the fasteners should be left a little loose. Details are applied to each other and carefully handle the needle. For a better connection you can add thin strands of wool.
- When all the details are fastened, the surface is being worked with thin triangular and “star” needles. Small strands of wool for “grinding” can also be used.
- The manufacture of toys finish, adding small elements (eyes, nose, mustache, decorations and t. NS.), then its surface is toned.
If you need to perform long thin parts, the framework is used to resist them. Most often it is made of wire. Sometimes wool fibers are simply wound on such a basis by lubricating it with PVA glue. Dry felting technique is also suitable for decorating knitwear. In this case, based on the drawing is simply laid out and processed by a needle.
Some details can be knocked separately (not until the final density), and then “nail” them to knit. For a better result, the drawing is recommended to roll with water and soap in the technique of wet fooling so that it does not be deformed during washing. But erase such products still need in a delicate mode in warm water.
Tips and recommendations
So that the work was comfortable and safe, and the result pleased you, It is worth listening to the advice of experienced masters.
- Without a substrate it is impossible to work, and the working fingers are better to protect in dim.
- The detail started to try to pour up to the middle so that it comply. Otherwise it may turn out a product with a dense surface, but very loose inside. Then it is quickly deformed.
- Punch material should be strictly in the vertical direction, otherwise the needle may break. You need to process uniformly all surface.
- The finished product to the touch should be solid, so that no deformations occur when pressing.
Each wizard has its own secrets. But the skill comes in the process of work. And if listening to their recommendations, invest fantasy in creativity, then you can create your wool masterpieces.
For the basics of dry felting, see the following video.