Many women are fond of needlework. This occupation is interesting, develops imagination, motility of fingers and hands, soothes. One kind of needlework art is Macrame. It is to create various things (from bracelets to large crafts and even clothes) with the help of threads, their weave and knitting nodes.
Some of the important points in needlework are such:
- need to clearly represent what you want to get at the end+
- It is necessary to know the designations of the schemes (if working with them)+
- You should be able to correctly pick up the threads for each product.
There are many different types of working raw materials (threads) possessing their characteristics. So before starting to work, you need to figure out which threads are needed.
What are you need?
For each type of product, the threads with certain characteristics are suitable. For example, mats, curtains, napkins, stands and panels can be plane from thick threads. The average material thickness can be used to create decorative vases – can be decorated in a jar or bottle. Pendants, earrings or even pendants can be made of sufficiently thin threads of Moulin or Kapron, Silk, Cotton, Cotton.
What are the requirements of threads for Macrame?
- Primarily, Material must be high quality. If the product is assumed to be color, then the color is preferably a pleasant, soft shade and persistent, because the product can be in contact with solar rays, water, human body – this can lead to the fading of the material or the development of allergic reactions from the carrier. Thread must be safe.
- Also desirable do not use dark shades or, on the contrary, too light (Although they are resorted to them quite often), as well as “poisonous” tones of threads. Masters say that in such products it is difficult to disassemble the pattern, as well as them are not easy to enter into the surrounding interior or combine with clothing (if it is a bracelet, for example).
- Needlewoman should know, How to combine the colors in the event that the thing is polychrome (two or more shades).
- Material must have sufficient strength, elasticity.
- The harness cross section should be round. It will provide the volume of your nodules and the beauty of the product.
- For the convenience of weaving and knitting nodules, and also that the product last longer, It is advisable to measure slippery fibers. Increased slightening “famous” most often synthetic threads.
- As mentioned above, you need to understand what fiber is suitable for creating a product. It takes into account thickness, color, nature (synthetic or natural material), thread strength. And also need to understand the appointment of crafts, what is the method of use, location (for example, in the room, on the bedside table). Considering these and other factors, it is easier to choose the work material.
- Also fiber should be pleasant to the touch. This is important both for the needlewoman itself, and in the event that the product is intended for contact with the skin.
- Fluffiness in Macrame will be superfluous. It will not help consider the pattern, the appearance will also seem inactive. But the volume of the thread or its “teddyness” is quite suitable.
- Threads must have a certain rigidity and twistedness. This allows you to create beautiful knots and durable things. If the material is too tough, it is required before starting work pre-soften. To do this, it is placed in water and boil a few minutes.
- Also threads must be the corresponding length or a little more necessary. This, of course, increases consumption and cost, however, if the thread turns out to be short, the needlewoman will be forced to start all the work again.
- Well, of course, you need to prepare all the necessary tools in advance (scissors, needles, knitting hooks of large size, fasteners for fiber, pins with large heads, sewers and needles so that you can dissolve the nodules + centimeter tape, a diagram or sketch of crafts, weight in order to align thread, glue if desired Use Decor Decor – Beads, Beads, Buttons, Feathers, Buckles, Tree Balls).
Of course, it is not necessary that they will all be needed, but it is better to have everything you need at hand.
All threads for Macrame can be classified by several features. So, one of them may be the origin of working material – natural (for example, cotton or woolen thread) and synthetic (polypropylene or polyester fiber). Thickness can be distinguished such species – thin, medium and thick materials. In cross section – flat and round, according to the structure of the fiber – straight and twisted. Even on the price range, you can split the threads, examples of grouping can be a lot. Of course, it is impossible to definitely say what is better. This question is solved in each case with a needlewoman.
- Cotton cord Suitable for making such crafts, like earrings, pendants, bracelets, necklaces. However, it must be remembered that such things are natural, safe (if toxic dyes are not used, but their service life is significantly less). An important nuance is the price issue. Cotton thread pretty inexpensive. However, its end does not mow on fire to fasten the thread, you need to use glue, and not a lighter. Thickness can vary from 1 to 5 mm.
Thread may be waxed, in this case more rigid than ordinary cotton thread.
- Thread Moulin – most often used in weaving bracelets or phenushek. The advantages of this material is the low cost (from 10 rubles per meal), as well as the presence of a large choice among the color palette. Threads are pleasant to the touch. However, can over time to lose your color.
- Nylon can also be high. Previously used mainly to flash the soles of shoes, however, their strength allows weaving and in the Macrame technique. This material of synthetic origin, has durability, and due to this product from it is durable. Also the ends of the fiber melted on fire. Therefore, the edge of the product can be treated with a lighter. Due to the fracture acquires a certain rigidity.
- Sizaven thread also relates to natural materials. It is characterized by high rigidity, so when working with it, it is advisable to pre-soften the material.
- Macrame – Material of Turkish production (mainly). It is characterized by an optimal slip, wide selection in the color scheme. The thickness of the fiber is about 1.5 mm. This option is perfect for beginner needlewomen.
- Polypropylene rope – this is most often a durable cord. There is a different shade, also presented in a soft version (so they are desirable not to be confused). Thickness is also small 1-2 mm.
- Silk: Beautiful, pleasant to the touch, natural material (although there are synthetic analogs). It makes small things that require tenderness, elegance – small handbags, clutches, earrings. However, it should be remembered that the ends are not broken, the threads need to be handled with glue and make nodes. In work it is worth using PVA glue.
- Jute rope – It is pretty thick, heavy thread, also natural origin. Possesses durability, rudeness. Its thickness ranges from 1 to 4-6 mm. Therefore, you can create various products. Thick thread can quickly make items of decor, for example, vases or colors pots.
- Some are also used Fishing Nights. They have sufficient strength.
How to calculate Length?
The calculation of the required length of the thread, as well as the right amount of threads is an important point. Usually advised to take A little more needed, So that it was not necessary to lengthen the thread (build it). Usually in the diagrams indicate the length of the thread, its type you want to use during the work process.
Need to decide whether the product is solid or consists of several patterns. Also, first you need to make a sample. Approximately submit the size of the finished product, the thread should be about 6-7 times longer than things. If the canvas consists of several separate patterns, then the length is calculated for each of them separately.
There are a number of tables, relying on which, you can determine the required length and the number of threads. For example, to seize the arms with Hercules nodes, you need to measure the thread with a length of 5 times more than the finished product is supposed. Suppose that the bracelet made in such a technique is equal to 15 centimeters, it means that work laces for its creation should be at least 75 cm.
And when working in the technique of repition nodes The working cord should be greater than the nodel (the one on which the nodes will be placed) at least 4 times. That is, let’s say, the length of the baubles is 13 cm, then the lace length will be equal to 52 cm.
Tips for use
Before starting a weaving process, you need to first prepare. To do this, calculate the length and number of threads, fix them to the base. Threads must be even if they were blocked, then you can smooth them, hooked under the ferry of the iron. To chop them correctly, it is worth putting meat on a centimeter tape and cut off the desired length, At the same time, the thread should lie calmly, without excess tension.
Of course, you need to select the material to work. However, some problems can be corrected in the process of work. For example, if the thread turned out to be more rigid than you need, it can be softened. To do this, she is enough to get in the water for 5 minutes. And on the contrary, if you need to make a thread strong and tougher, then you can soak it in a solution of gelatin and give to lie down a couple of minutes. It is necessary when the product must keep your form.
To protect your hands, cotton gloves can be used, and after work, lubricate your hands with cream, then the corners will be much smaller, and the process of needlework is more pleasant. If silk is used or weave the product from paper twine, then your hands need to be watched in warm water. After the end of work It is advisable to try the product from the wrong side, while it is covered with a slightly wet gauze.
Macrame is an interesting kind of needlework, having many important preparatory moments, which are advisable to remember always. Then products will be beautiful, and it will work easily and nice.
About what threads are suitable for weaving Macrame, look in the following video.