The original style of any interior involves not only an unusual design, but also an interesting decor. It is very impressive, objects created by their own hands – thanks to the inherent uniqueness and thoughtfulness, they harmoniously fit into any room.
One of the most sought-after technicians in our day when creating items of decor for rooms was the applique, called Iris Folding. With this method, you can create small pictures, as well as quite impressive panels.
What it is?
The name of the technique suggests the so-called rainbow folding – Multicolored stripes of paper are specially placed in each other in the form of a twisting helix at a small angle relative to each other.
Each Master Class on Iris Folding includes several stages of work. To start on cardboard denote the pattern, which is then cut down the contour. After that form Special templates, The form of which should coincide with the model of completed work. All elements of the template are denoted by numbers – this is necessary in order to be understood by the order of sticking of multi-colored stripes.
Further Cut the required number of color fragments – It must be done with this calculation that the sheet will have to fold several times to give the image volume and necessary strength. Paper strips are fixed on the picture So that each subsequent slightly covered the previous one.
Despite all the seeming difficulty, in practice, the development of technology does not represent any problems even for beginner needlewomen, and experienced craftsmen can create real masterpieces in this way.
Initially, the paintings in the technique of Iris Folding were created from ordinary colored paper, but over time the technique was improved, and today, except for paper, masters often Use satin ribbons and cardboard. Elements in Eris Folding technique are found in the form of decor in paintings, panels, as well as collages and postcards. However, they can be created as an independent composition.
History of origin
Homeland equipment Iris Folding are the Netherlands – Dutch masts from cardboard and colorful paper made large volumetric patterns with a spiral print. The resulting masterpieces were reminded of the diaphragms of popular at that time cameras, and were visually similar to the iris eye.
The technique quite quickly gained popularity among Dutch masters, and soon came to other countries of the old world. The secret of the success of Iris Folding is explained by ease of study of the principles of techniques, accessibility and low cost of consumables, as well as the possibility of independent stencils and schemes.
Crafts in the direction of Iris Folding attract their views and literally motivated for creativity. The simplest options are available to work for children of preschool age, with complicated models, they already get acquainted in more adult age.
This technique really likes young mothers and becomes a permanent hobby for girls and women, whose interests are related to the development of children. In addition, it is a source of inspiration for craftsmen, which are in search of non-traditional techniques and the development of methods for combining already studied.
There are two basic directions of Iris Folding depending on the formation method of the drawing.
In the first execution Spiral scrolls so that an empty place in the form of a small figure formed in the core. This unoccupied plot is usually sealed by a fragment of cardboard, matter or a piece of paper. In accordance with the second work method, the strips are placed so that the middle at the end of the work is fully filled – this technology is in demand for the manufacture of notebooks, postcards and photo albums.
If desired, each craftswoman can easily supplement Iris Folding any other popular needlework appliances.
Materials and tools
Before you start work, you need to decide on its subject. For example, you can make postcards for the New Year, Name Day or Valentine’s Day.
In order to work on a project without separation, Prepare a set of necessary materials and tools in advance.You will need:
- One-sided colored paper 4-5 tones+
- solid cardboard that can be used as the basis+
- Sharp scissors+
- ordinary clips+
- Scotch or Adhesive Pencil+
- acute knife.
Additionally, a dense base, protecting the table from scratches and chipping when cutting.
Schemes and patterns
Any work performed by the craftswoman in Iris Folding, suggests Using a working template or combined composition of two or three templates. The simplest stencils are superimposed on a predetermined thematic drawing. The main templates for inexperienced needlewomen serve the simplest geometric figures – Triangle, Square or Circle. Basic element of Dutch equipment is a rectangle or a triangle.
For drawing pattern You should prepare the required number of items, which should be different among themselves in size, form and color. Next, the process of their placement on the prepared pattern, as well as fitting and finish fixation.
There are a large number of ready-made patterns. Direction Iris Folding has its own Basic rules – thanks to the existing variety of stencils, the form of the finished product is limited only by the flight of the artist’s fantasy and the wealth of consumables.
With some skills, you can always create your own sample so that he perfectly matched the dimensions. To do this, you will need:
- Cape paper sheet+
- Simple pencil+
Before starting to work, need to choose the basic form – It may be a circle, triangle or square. Experienced masters can use more intricate figures.
Let us dwell on the diagram of the formation of a stencil on the basis of the square:
- Draw on a piece of paper in a cell Square with a side of 14 cm+
- On each side of the direction to the left of the corners, tick 10 mm+
- As a result, you will have 4 points that need to be combined with each other – in this way, it turns out “square in the square”+
- In the second square, again tick the point to the left at removing 10 mm, they should also be connected and form the third square.
All manipulations repeat until a small square remains in the central part.
Similarly, working templates based on a triangle. Draw attention to the fact that at all It is not necessary to make a 10-15mm wide width – It can be any in the range from 7 to 25 mm, depending on the idea of the Master.
On complex stencils are usually affixed Numbering – It shows what should be the sequence of calculating the prepared multicolored strips in bright samples. Templates are additionally labeled taking into account the color wishes.
How to make crafts?
Depending on what print you are planning to do, Iris Folding includes several consecutive steps.
- First you need to choose a drawing, which in the future you will lay out.
- The drawing is transferred to the cardboard or a sheet of solid paper. It needs to be obliged, and then cut so that the window is formed – in it you will place rainbow ribbons.
- Next, pick a pattern corresponding to the drawing.
- A sheet of paper with cut on it. The pattern is placed on the stencil of the back side up. Then the whole design is fixed by stationery clips or scotch, so that in the course of the work the pattern does not displaced.
- Next, you need to make paper stripes of all shades, of which you plan to lay out the pattern.
- Strips are twice in length so that the slice location was not noticeable.
- In accurately, with the template used, the strips are glued to paper until all areas are fully filled. Strips need to fix the flask, that is, with a light layering, overlapping one to another.
- Next, a piece of paper with the laid out of the print is removed from the template and sample the purr of the cardboard.
On this drawing is completed – you can turn your work and admire it.
By the New Year
In the style of Iris Folding, you can easily make a Christmas tree, it will be even in poorly serious needlewomen or young children. Registration of such a postcard includes several consecutive steps.
- Colored paper of several shades neatly cut by strips in 4-5 cm wide. Initially, at least 10 bands of each coller should be made, and their final amount can be adjusted in the process of further work. Every strip must be folded twice.
- On the cardboard sheet draw a tree and carefully cut on the contour with scissors.
- Pick up the appropriate pattern, then cut out and placed on the cardboard from the back side, attaching tightly with clips.
- First lay out the trunk, for this, the strips are placed one on the other and fastened with glue.
- Strips-branches are fixed exactly according to the template, lay them as carefully. The central part is drawn up with a tint, slightly different from the rest of the tint palette.
- The finished craft is turned over to the outdoor side of the workpiece and draw up to its taste, the back side is closed with monophonic paper. Most often Christmas trees are separated by artificial snow, glitter, as well as contrasting beads.
As a festive card for students of primary classes or even pupils of the elder group of kindergarten, you can offer Make a Santa Claus cap. Discharge such a workpiece is absolutely easy – Manipulations should be started from the middle of the caps before the scene.
- Lines should diverge in different directions by analogy with sunbeams.
- Multicolored bands are cut in rectangular shape, while each folds half the long side.
- The laying of the bands are performed from top to bottom using a scheme with alternating multi-colored and monochrome parts.
- When the entire module is fully sealed, the operation turn over and over the layer of cardboard with the cut-cut hole of the desired form.
- The craft is decorated with cotton and pompon, and emptiness decorated with snowflakes or stars cut out from foil.
By March 8
- To create this unusual postcard in the form of a female silhouette, you can take a braid or tape of two kernels instead of paper.
- Having draws out the outline of the dress, it is necessary to draw the scheme for the placement of thin strips of matter, ranging from the strapless and the bodice zone.
- After that, the lines are drawn in the diagonal direction, moving from the top of the bodice to the middle part of the hem.
- When sticking the satin ribbon, it is necessary to act on the same scheme – the fastening is starting from above, first lay off the bodice, and the underlying of the lower part is engaged in the latter.
- In the area of the junction plugs attach a bow.
- Cutting up the contour of the craft, on white cardboard at the bottom it is advisable to make wavy lines.
This is a simple handicraft, and if you alternate tapes of different colors, it will look pretty effectively.
For considerable craftsmen, it is better to use ready-made craft patterns – they can always be found on the Internet either to draw themselves.
- The template is placed on hard cardboard, rub the pencil and cut the heart in the center.
- The resulting pattern is fixed to cardboard paper clips.
- Further, it takes paper three colors, it is cut by strips with a thickness of 4 cm, each of them is folded in length – so you are cooking blanks for your valentine.
- Multicolored strips are laying out in turn in accordance with the color scheme, fixing them with the help of glue or scotch.
- After all the billets are run out, the middle is laid out by any kelper suitable for the satellite gamma.
- The postcard is almost ready – you will only be left to turn it out, decorate the front part of your own taste, and the involnery to stick to any single-color paper.
If desired, such a heart can be made by one-photon, without adding any other colors. To give greater decorativeness instead of ordinary paper, you can take a corrugated or satin.
By February 23
As a gift for February 23, Iris Folding Style is often manufactured. Step-by-step instructions suggest the following actions.
- First you need to copy the template and transfer it half a sheet of A4 format.
- After that, the maximum distance between the individual sections of the star is measured, and another pair of millimeters are added to the resulting value – they will go on amendments and gaps. The resulting value will correspond to the width of the multi-colored stripes.
- Then you need to take the paper of 3 different shades and cut into the same bands in accordance with the width parameters calculated before.
- The sticker starts from the corners, moving consistently towards the center.
At the exit, the elegant festive star should turn out.
When creating pictures in the technique of Iris Folding, you need to keep in mind the following nuances:
- Be sure to consider the location of your future crafts in order to correctly think over all possible ways to disguise the back of the product+
- At the end of the full filling of the stencil, multicolored stripes can be attached to the flap of fabric, as well as velvet paper+
- The facial part is usually decorated with stickers, beads or ribbon.
Very creative look Elements of own production decor, made in felting technique or scrapbooking. All volumetric elements are desirable to glue with a hot thermal system. For registration of lace elements, you can use decorative holes.
Technique Iris Folding is very fascinating. In addition, it forms patience, as well as perseverance, scrupulsiness and accuracy – this is especially true, if we are talking about children of preschool, as well as primary school age. Iris Folding helps to reveal hidden creative opportunities, work allows you to relax and fully enjoy creativity – we can say that The process of creating a picture by the Rainbow Folding method delivers these moral satisfaction.
- Especially beautiful in this technique it turns out a heart.
- And the kids will probably like the idea of folding out of paper Swan, cat, owl or apple.
- In the direction of Iris Folding even make Interesting vases.
Created in this style postcard, panels, collages, as well as covers for books and photo albums will be a good present for loved ones from children, and for adult craftsmen will be a push to expand the circle of communication, the development of unique master classes and participation in creative events.
How to make appliqué in technique Iris Folding, look in the following video.