Before each student of senior classes, the question of the career future arises sooner or later. At the same time, often choosing a profession, young people consider options either from humanitarian or from the technical field. One of the most popular professions, which can be attributed to the first category, is a profession political scientist. Today in our material we will consider the features and distinctive characteristics of the professional activities of such specialists.
Who is this and what does it do?
Generally speaking, a political analyst is a person who is engaged in the study of politics as an integral part of the functioning of society (from here and the name of the profession). Such work will suit young people who are interested in such branches of science as history and social studies.
It should be noted that By itself, the specialty of the political scientist arose quite a long time, even during the time of ancient Greece and ancient Rome. The first scientists who reasoned about politics and the state were Platon and Aristotle. Over time, political science developed and improved. Finally, the object and objectives of the industry were formed only in 1948. In the territory of the Russian Federation, political scientists have become actively and widely studied since 1755.
The main feature of the work of the political scientist can be called its research bias. As part of science, political system, power relations, state system, political culture, political behavior and other aspects of society. Professional political scientists can apply themselves as practices, and as theorists – accordingly, the profession itself is very multifaceted.
At the same time, it should be remembered that in order to be a real professional, you need to have an extensive set of theoretical knowledge and practical skills.
Pros and cons
Professional activities of the political scientist, like any other work, has a set of their unique features and individual characteristics. If you think about tie your life with this specialty, then you should carefully and carefully examine all the available “for” and “against”. Only in this case, you can take an objective and weighted decision, which you do not have to regret in the future.
To begin with, consider the benefits of profession. These include the following factors.
- Low competition level on the personnel market. This is due to the fact that today in Russia there are enough professional political scientists who have the appropriate higher education – therefore, you can easily find the job.
- Decent earnings. In the case of high qualifications and the availability of appropriate work experience, you can qualify for prestigious and status posts that are accompanied by a high material remuneration for labor.
If we talk about the disadvantages of the profession, then it is necessary first to note the main one, namely, it is not in demand. In this regard, the overabundance of political scientists in the labor market will lead to the fact that you will not be able to find a place of work. Thus, it can be concluded that the advantages of the profession exceed the shortcomings. However, for many young people, a low demand is such a characteristic that cannot be reconciled, and they refuse training in the specialty. Anyway, the final choice remains for you.
As mentioned above, the political scientist is a multifaceted profession, which makes it quite interesting. And accordingly, if you study this specialty, you can find yourself in a variety of activities that are somehow related to political science. Consider the main ones.
- Consultant. Consultant – This is a person who is recommendations and tips for politicians. Also during his professional activity, it solves a number of other tasks (for example, it helps to form the main activity).
- Expert. The expert political scientist can be a universal specialist or deal in some kind of sphere (for example, international or military). Such a specialist can cooperate with the state authority or act as an opposition. In addition, very often experts in the field of political science can be seen on TV.
- Reviewer. Political observers are engaged in the interpretation of the incorrect political and public events.
- Theorist. Theorist is a scientific expert. Often, such specialists are developing in various educational universities and scientific institutions, they can also work by teachers.
- Philosopher. Philosophers view political science from a scientific point of view. They are trying to explain what is happening from the point of view of philosophical exercises.
- Polittechnologist. In its work, the political technologist uses special technologies to achieve one goal. Polittechnologist actively interacts with the media in order to affect social masses.
- Imager. Imageaker is an integral member of the team of each policy. It helps to create an attractive image of the servier of power, interacts with PR-departments. Especially popular with these specialists are in the period of a variety of pre-election companies.
- Spichreiter. Specialist of this profile is engaged in writing speeches for officials, politicians and various officials.
Thus, the spheres of political scientists are quite varied. Accordingly, you can choose exactly the area that causes you the greatest professional interest.
Necessary skills and skills
In order for the political scientist to perform its work efficiently and effectively, it must comply with a certain set of requirements, possess optimal personal qualities, to have analytical abilities, as well as training (theoretical and practical).
The necessary professional knowledge and skills include:
- Understanding the causes of certain political phenomena+
- Research skills (for example, research in the field of study of policies from the social and cultural structure of society)+
- The ability to exercise forecasts regarding the political future state+
- Skill of the analysis of political phenomena to search for their common and excellent characteristics+
- Theoretical knowledge of political science as a scientific subject+
- Knowledge of foreign languages+
- Understanding the legal system of society, the ability to navigate in the legislative sphere+
- Deep knowledge in the field of history, sociology, psychology.
In addition, it should be borne in mind that, depending on the specifics of the activity of the organization in which the political scientist works, the necessary skills and professional requirements may vary and supplemented. Usually about this in detail written in the description of the vacancy.
It should also be considered the fact that the personal qualities of the political scientist play a major role. This is due to the fact that this specialist does not work independently, but is a member of the team.
Among the most important personal characteristics of the political scientist can be allocated:
- Developed communicative abilities+
- Analytical mind+
- attention to detail+
- Strategic thinking+
- Creativity and creative abilities+
- ethical and moral component+
- Stress resistance and emotional stability+
- The desire for self-development and self-improvement.
The most successful will be the political scientist who successfully combines professional and personal characteristics. Such a person will always remain relevant and in demand by a specialist in the labor market. It should be borne in mind that the quality listed above and character traits are not a closed list. In order to advance through the career ladder, and also actively stand out against other applicants for the position of interest to you, it is necessary to constantly independently.
How to become?
In order to formally employ the position of the political scientist, it is necessary to obtain the appropriate higher education. Education is recommended to be held at the University (Academy, Institute, University), located in a major city or capital. The fact is that such educational institutions enjoy authority among the professional community, so their graduates will be easier to find a job. In addition, for the period of study, you can get useful dating. Already during the period of study in the 11th grade it is desirable to engage in the selection of a particular university (it is better to choose several options). In mandatory, you need to visit the selected educational institution to find out what exams should be taken for admission, which subjects are taught at the faculty and other important nuances.
When you do, your close attention must be paid to obtaining knowledge, as well as the acquisition of practical skills, which will be suitable for the fulfillment of professional tasks. Due to the fact that the profession of the political scientist belongs to the category of humanitarian, the student will have to read a lot and teach what you need to be ready to each apprentituate. In addition, in the course of seminars and practical classes, initiative and activity should be taken, not be afraid to express their personal opinion. The duration of the learning process may vary. It depends on what level of education you have chosen and what program you are trained. So, on average, the learning process can last from 4 to 6 years. In the event that you want to engage in science, then this period may increase.
At the same time, after the end of the basic learning, it is not worth stopping the educational process. Be sure to attend various activities in order to improve the qualifications: courses, trainings, lectures, seminars, conferences.
Where to work?
After graduation, young professionals work in a wide variety of organizations – for example, in media and press centers, state bodies, public centers. Accordingly, depending on the specific place of work, the specificity of the activity may vary.
As for wages, it can vary considerably – from 20,000 rubles to 100,000 rubles (and even more). A specific number depends on a large number of a wide variety of factors.
- Place of work and accommodation. It is no secret that the metropolitan wages are much more than the material remuneration of those employees who work in the provinces.
- work experience. Specialists without work experience can apply only to low-paid starting positions.
- Level of educational training. This indicator is directly proportional to the level of wages.
- Work specifics. Most often, those political scientists who work in the private sector of the economy receive more specialists who are involved in the public service.
If desired, the political scientist can develop and climb the career ladder, as well as open its business (for example, the consulting agency).