If you try to group all the existing professions today in several categories, then one of the most important sections will include posts from the service sector. One of these is the work of the seller. Today in our article we will consider more details on the peculiarities of the professional activity of this specialist.
Features of the profession
In general, the profession of the seller of clothing in the labor market exists for quite a long time. However, if you refer to the story, it can be noted that earlier such specialists were called otherwise: for example, merchants, buyers or merchants. As for the emergence of such an employee, as a sales assistant (in its modern understanding), such a specialty appeared relatively recently – at the beginning of the XX century. The need for a more qualified employee arose with an increase in the requirements of buyers imposed on service staff.
Depending on the specific place of work, the seller of clothing can also perform the role of a consultant or cashier. At the same time, it is important to note that such employees are involved in the stores of female, male, children’s, top, denim, specialized (for example, medical) clothing. In order for the seller to be in demand in the labor market, he must have a number of specialized skills. Accordingly, employers will prefer such an employee who has at least minimal preparation. For example, it is important to say that the profession of the seller of clothing in a sense requires a person who occupies this position, developed aesthetic taste and even stylist skills.
Besides, When choosing this specialty as your career, the fact that it is characterized not only by positive, but also a number of negative characteristics. So, the minuses often attribute low wages and high stress.
By the way, the last characteristic is inherent in all professions that are associated with direct interaction with a large number of people.
The seller of clothing performs its work in strict accordance with existing official documents. The professional standard should be attributed to them in the first place. Accordingly, before officially employed, you must carefully and carefully read these documents. So you can make sure that you can perform all those functions that the employer lay on you. Remember that for non-fulfillment or poor-quality execution of your duties, you can be responsible (for example, get disciplinary recovery or be dismissed from work).
It is important to note that the overall list of what the seller should make in the clothing store can vary significantly depending on the specific place of work, as well as the wishes of the employer. However, the most traditional duties of a specialist include:
- meet buyers+
- Inform all those present in the store on available goods (in particular, about updates and currently held shares that exist special offers and many other things)+
- demonstrate customers clothes samples+
- interested in customers the purpose of their visit+
- help choose the appropriate size+
- Help Decide on the choice of this or that object of the wardrobe+
- Show where fitting rooms are located (if necessary, assist in fitting fittings)+
- Exercise at the checkout (if there is such a necessity)+
- To fold and pack clothes that the buyer acquires+
- Before starting work, you need to get acquainted with the available assortment+
- After the end of the shift should count the revenue+
- maintain a common order in the store, hang clothes, group things in categories, sizes and other parameters taken in the store+
- compile account and reporting documentation.
In addition to the mandatory functions, there is a list of actions that the seller of clothes in no case should do, namely:
- Insult buyers and treat them with disrespect+
- Comment Customer Fittings+
- with disregard refer to people who financially cannot afford to purchase one or another wardrobe subject+
- conflict and rewind+
- Use abnormative vocabulary+
- actively impose your opinion to the buyer.
To qualitatively perform the work of the seller of clothes and be demanded among employers, as well as respected among buyers, you need to know much and be able to. And often the employer puts forward demands not only to the professional qualities of the candidate for the position, but also to his personal characteristics.
Personal qualities of the seller are of great importance as his professional skills. First of all, this is due to the fact that during their work, the seller of clothes is constantly communicating with people. The most important personal characteristics of the seller of clothing can be attributed:
- Stress resistance and emotional stability+
- Positive attitude and optimism+
- attention to details.
The optimal combination of personal and professional characteristics will make an indispensable employee of any enterprise.
As for mandatory professional knowledge and skills, they are considered to include:
- Knowledge of the legislation regulating the work (for example, the Consumer Rights Act)+
- Knowledge of corporate norms and principles (they differ depending on your place of work)+
- Knowledge of the nomenclature of clothing you sell+
- Understanding the typology of marriage and clothing defects+
- Ability to handle computer equipment and various professional programs (for example, “1C: Trade and Warehouse”)+
- Cash Technique Skill+
- The ability to conduct a document flow and competently fill in the documentation+
- developed speech skills, the ability to build a conversation correctly.
Moreover, both for your own personal development and for moving through a career ladder, you should not stop on mastering only those knowledge and skills described above. The more you can be able to, the more in demand you will be in the labor market.
Rights and responsibility
The job instruction regulates not only the obligations, but also the rights, and the responsibility of the employee.
So, the seller’s rights can be attributed to:
- The opportunity to unhindered to receive concerning professional activity information from the higher authorities+
- Make requests for improving sales quality+
- refuse to fulfill certain requirements if they can harm life and health, and also contradict safety regulations.
On the other hand, the right is necessarily supported by relevant responsibilities:
- Compliance with the mode and schedule+
- Maintaining labor discipline+
- Reliability of documentation (including financial).
Training and salary
In order to become a good seller of clothing, it is not necessary to finish a higher or secondary educational institution (although such requirements are put forward by some employers). So, it is often enough to pass only the relevant courses, as well as training is possible directly in the workplace.
As for wages, it can vary significantly. This indicator primarily depends on the specific place of work. So, the staff who work in small local stores can receive the minimum material reward for their work (about 15,000 rubles). Salary of sellers of luxury stores can reach and higher marks (up to 100,000 rubles).
In addition, you can get a percentage of sales, which can significantly increase the amount of your overall income.