Kazan – having a centuries-old dishwashing history that has not lost its relevance and nowadays. The dishes prepared in it are very juicy, fragrant and appetizing. The best material for the production of Kazan is the cast iron.
Kazan is considered to be national dishes of residents of Central Asia – Tajikistan, as well as Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. Traditionally, it makes it from the cast iron, and this utensil has great glory – in such a dishes it does not cook, but as if languishing, this process takes quite a long time, But dishes are obtained with any incomparable in their taste.
Kazan is a large metal boiler with thickened walls and a rounded bottom, it is perfect for cooking meat, pillings, shurts and many other dishes. Moreover, Kazan is equally suitable for use on the stove and open fire.
Cooking in Kazan has its own specifics and includes two stages.
- Initially food is prepared on fire – Flame burns directly under the bottom. At this moment, fat is inserted, as well as roasting meat products.
- At the second stage of open fire no longer, and heat comes from the remaining coal. At this point, you can add a cereal and vegetables that need gentle intensity heating mode for cooking.
by the way, The older the dishes, the more delicious and appetizing dishes in it. This is explained simply – in the course of use on the walls and the bottom there is always a film that is not flushed, so all the pores, even the smallest, are clogged with fat.
The film does not allow products to stick to the walls, and a very efficient coating is created, preventing the burning of products.
Pros and cons
Cast iron Casans have their advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages should be attributed:
- Slow heating+
- Uniform redistribution of heat+
- long-term maintenance of temperatures after the cauldron is removed from the heating source+
- the dense cover does not allow a couple to go out+
- Practicality and durability.
Cooked in the Casane Meat, Vegetables and Crupes Practically retain all their nutrients and vitamins. When cooking does not distinguish toxins and carcinogens – food is exceptionally healthy and useful.
The minuses include:
- Heavyweight – Cast iron dishes has a rather impressive mass, so it is not always convenient to operate+
- susceptibility to corrosion and the appearance of rust+
- Cast iron dishes are not particularly aesthetic.
Varieties and sizes
As a rule, in Kazan from cast iron, a wide variety of foods are prepared – from 2 to 20 liters. The most common caught on 8 liters and 12 liters. Keep in mind when buying a caulter that the manufacturer usually indicates the maximum capacity, and not a working parameter, since the cauldron is usually completely filled.
Calculate the complete container of the container should be based on the total number of persons on which the dishes will be maintained. So, for 2-3 people, it will be quite enough for a 5 l with a capacity of 5 liters, for 5-6 people it is worth a preference to the cauldron of 8-10 liters, for 10 and over a person it is better to acquire large-sized caulders, designed for 16-20 liters.
Depending on the configuration, the caulders are with a lid or without removable handles. The bottom can be enament or with a non-stick coating, and the shape is flat or rounded.
Special causes are sold with the stove, which facilitates the process of making any dish. Usually, various useful accessories are attached to such products – noiseing, a kocher, aft, a set of spices.
It is believed that the highest quality Casans are Uzbek, especially those manufactured in Namangan. It is here that the real classic dishes made of the highest quality cast iron. This is the main advantage of products in comparison with the Casans made in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, in which, in addition to cast iron, use aluminum and copper additives.
Central Asian dishes are made predominantly manually, automated equipment is practically not used.
Consumers are very popular with cast-iron Casans Mallony brand. This dishes appeared in our country’s trading enterprises in 2004 and immediately won the recognition of Russians due to high quality and good configuration. Nevertheless, these caulders have their own characteristics.
- First, it is not recommended to store food, Otherwise, corrosive processes start pretty quickly. After each washing, it is necessary to wipe out the external and outer walls and handle heated vegetable oil.
- Secondly, the model does not have a non-stick coating, Therefore, the burning of products is not excluded.
- Thirdly, the caulies of this brand are very afraid of temperature drops, Therefore, they can only be used on the plates – to put the caulders on the fire, and also in the oven notice. In the dishes you can not load cold products and pour cool water.
All these disadvantages are significantly outweighs rather democratic cost – to find in stores cheaper caulders simply will not succeed, and if it is properly operation, they will serve faithfully for many years.
MAYER & BOCH – Another popular manufacturer of cast iron Casans. Products of this brand are optimal for cooking Plov, stew, all types of walking and even soup. The bottom is covered with high-quality non-stick coating, so that food is preparing without a fountain, and the product itself is characterized by persistence and durability. Casuals are equipped with a glass cover and steel handles, it is possible to prepare in such a cauldron on any plates, including induction, use in the stoves and on the open flame.
The service life of such Kazan reaches 30 years.
“Siton” – Another manufacturer of cast iron cassowns. It is important that the manufacturer uses a material protection system from food acids, which often spoil metal. The distinctive feature of the Kazanov of this brand is black matte color and exceptional strength.
The utensils are equipped with a brush for applying oil.
Of the minuses – a lot of weight, move and wash such dishes is quite difficult. During cooking, the cover is heated, so when working must use mittens. However, such dishes are clean in a matter of minutes, the products in the cooking process are not burning and do not stick. Casual can be used on any plates, in the furnaces, as well as on the fire.
“Biol” – This is an enterprise that issues authentic Tatar cast-iron caulders that are suitable for making any dishes on open fire, but also on the plates can also be used. Such dishes perfectly holds warmth and gives food an unusual taste. The company has a very good reputation, but buyers warn that the manufacturer does not regret the machine oil to handle the walls of the vessel, so before the first use of Kazan must certainly need to roll.
We also have demand for the brands “Kama’s dishes” and “Dobryny”.
How to choose?
When choosing a cauldron, you need to take into account several important aspects.
- Most products existing on sale have a hemispherical shape with a rounded bottom. This design allows the use of dishes to prepare dishes on an open flame, usually used with tripod.
- It is advisable to buy caulies, the density of the walls of which is 3-5 cm. If you get a model with thinner walls, then the product will last you not so long. Despite the low cost of such a model, it is not in demand.
- Keep in mind that the more dense the walls of the cauldron, the more effective it will accumulate warmly and more delicious and juicy will be ready.
- It is very important to inspect the inner cavity of the walls for the presence of depression, irregularities, chips and cracks – any of these defects is a reason to abandon the purchase, since they significantly complicate the warming up of preparing products.
- Before buying, definitely define for what dishes and on what types of fire are you planning to use the product. If you plan to prepare on a traditional gas or electrical household plate, then you should give preference to copper or aluminum models, cast-iron are designed for frequent use on fire, as well as in the furnace, and it is advisable to buy them with a lid.
- When choosing a suitable model, be sure to consider the design of the furnace and its depth.
How to prepare for first use?
After the acquisition, Kazan should prepare for the very first use at home, for this you should perform a few simple operations.
First you need to wash off the factory lubricant. You can use conventional crane water with gel-like cleaning agents.
It is necessary to set the maximum heating mode and rolling the Kazan about 2-2.5 hours, during the processing process it follows from time to time to turn the dishes from one side to another.
As soon as it will stop going smoke from Kazan, we can assume that the lubricant buried completely. Immediately after that, it is necessary to wipe the inner surface of the tank with a soft napkin, pour out the salt pack inside and rolling the cauldron for about an hour – during this time the salt will absorb all metal impurities with unnecessary elements and sit down.
The calcination is repeated, but now with vegetable oil. For processing, you will need 350-400 ml, the procedure lasts about 25-30 minutes. During this time, the oil begins to curb the walls of the cauldron and clogs the pores of the material. Oil residues should be merged, after which the Kazan is cooled and sent for storage in a clean dry place.
There is another way to prepare causing to use.
With the help of paper napkins, it is necessary to clean all the oil, after which the boiler turn up the bottom and in this position is placed in the heated oven.
The dishes should be calcined at about an hour at a temperature of 220-230 degrees. This time is quite enough to complete cast iron.
At the final stage, the cauldron is wiped with sunflower oil and sent for storage.
How to care?
In the process of cooking dishes in Kazan made of oil and fat, a thin film is formed, which effectively protects material from corrosion, and also adds a greater juration and aroma dish. If you eliminate such a film, then the food in the cooking process will begin to burn, that is why When cleaning the cauldron, it is not recommended to use abrasive compositions and metal brushes.
If the products are still burned, then it is necessary to pour some water to the cauldron, add a couple of soda and salt and boil on average fire about half an hour. When the water cools out, you will need to wash the inner surfaces with a soft sponge with detergent.
As you know, the cast iron has the property to absorb the smell, so from time to time you need to carry out the following processing of the cauldron – the dishes need to put on a large fire, pour a pack of salt and rolling over 30-40 minutes. Salt must be constantly stirred and distributed over the walls – during the processing it will absorb all the extra smells and at the same time removes South.
After the end of treatment, the salt is poured, and the inner surface is rubbed with a napkin, after which the container is lubricated with heated oil and once again rolled around 20 minutes.
In order for the cauldron to do not rustle, he needs care. Immediately after the end of the preparation of the dish, it is necessary to remove from it all the remnants of food, rinse with water with a detergent, and then dry with paper napkins or by calcining.
If it still failed to avoid corrosion, then you can save the situation. To do this, it is necessary to stir water with vinegar in a ratio of 1: 1, pour into a large pelvis and hold the cauldron in it for about an hour. After that, the container is dried, placed on the bottom large salt and rub it over all the walls and the bottom. So you remove rust residues from surfaces.
About how and what to wash the cast-iron cauldron, look in the following video.