Cutting board – an important attribute in the kitchen of each mistress. It would seem that choose the board is not difficult, but when it comes to purchase, then everything is not so simple: the models presented in the market can not fit into the interior, then the dimensions are too large (small), then the material does not cause confidence.
Plastic boards are very popular because of their various colors and attractive value, but Recently, there are talk about the dangers of plastic when contacting food, and many embarrass. Of course, no one has questions about natural materials, but it is not always possible to find exactly the board that would meet all the requirements of the hostess. There is an output – make a cutting board with your own hands! Sufficiently stocking with wood, the necessary drawings and some knowledge, and in your kitchen will be born a magnificent one of its own manufacture!
Step 1. Selection of materials
What does the board need?
If you have a little or at all any experience with the tree, the first moment, which will immediately need to clarify – this is the choice of woody breed for the future cutting board.
First you need to figure out – how exactly you will use the board? For fruit? Fish? Meat? Salad? It is recommended to have separate boards for different products. Since the length, and the thickness is absolutely different – and from practical considerations, and from culinary.
So, for meat you need to have a dense massive board, because, for example, you will have to use the ax if you plan to cook a steam, and a thin board will deteriorate after a couple of applications. For cutting fish, a thinner wood is suitable, as only the knife will be used.
Thirdly there will be a cooling board of fruits and vegetables.
Or maybe you generally want to make a house decoration board? Not always boards are needed for use in cooking – Very often they – Handmade decorations for giving the interior of more rustic style. If so, then here you already need to simply focus on the preferences of the appearance as a plan of an artistic project, because then you will simply work out the model according to the idea, and the model of multilayer plywood FC or FSF is quite suitable – this is the most simple, affordable and durable materials.
How often will we use?
If you know that the board will be used every day several times, it is worth thinking about the fact that the strength of materials – the criterion is not the last importance. The board must be able to withstand daily loads, as well as exposure to water when you allow it after use.
Temperature and humidity take into account
Not everyone is especially important such moments as the impact of temperature differences in the kitchen or excess humidity. But still a cutting board is made of wood, and not every breed is suitable for the conditions of the kitchen – some can swell and crack, and it is impossible to work on a deformed surface. Attractive plywood, for example, not suitable for cutting meat, as a constant point exposure will lead to dents and cracks. Even the most expensive plywood is often stratified. So what kind of wood will be better?
Good and inexpensive options from speech data breeds:
- Birch tree+
They are great for processing and withstand continuous impact.
What sizes are needed?
Be sure to specify the parameters for which you need to navigate when making the board. Need to take into account the size that will be most convenient for you to work – Only you know which form of the surface will be optimal for working with food.
It is clear that the usual logic – for meat and cleaning the fish bigger, for vegetables and fruit smaller – will also work.
It is also worth thinking about how many people have to be prepared at a time.
And also cost to consider specific dimensions of the kitchen or place where you will use and store your board. Does a huge board fit in the kitchen? Is it convenient to use it on the desktop?
Step 2. We make it yourself. Operating procedure
The order of work is very simple, and will not cause problems even at the very beginning masters. It is enough just to perform a few simple steps in order, and you will have a beautiful cutting board.
Before you, a ready-made drawing, taking into account the handle for which you can hang the board, and take it to transfer the shut-ins in a saucepan or dish.
Board handle to not shift the center of gravity, should be along the longitudinal axis of the board.
The drawing contains birch as a material – it is durable, moisture-resistant and supplied in processing.
- Taking birch (or your tree by choice). To handle the pattern, the usual hacksaw with small teeth. So it will be easy to cut the necessary tree. Transfer the template to the wooden surface, and cut off the lines.
- Treatment of regional. For each master of the house, some abrasive type of grinding cut, skins, and maybe even there is a special grinding machine that processes the edges of the board professionally. Remember that the safety technique is required to sharpen all the faces of your board, so that all burrs and roughness. No one wants after a culinary experiment to have offering in every finger, like small chips in chopped products. Yes, and visually untreated edges look careless.
- Drilling hole. Now you need to do the hole in the board handle to be able to hang it on the carnation later. The only moment is not to do the hole too small, otherwise it will be difficult to hang the product. You can show creativity, and make a special clamp or stick the hook – the main thing that the board does not lie on the table, occupying the place, but accurately hung and added charm the interior. But how to hang it, decide to you.
Step 3. Decoration of the product.
Now it all depends on your aesthetic taste. You can decorate the board with an intricate pattern, you can simply draw lines or points, but after that it is necessary to cover the boards with varnish, otherwise, with the first contact with water, all drawings will wash. Do not limit yourself in fantasy, create unique inscriptions and drawings that will raise you mood during cooking.
Pay attention to such a technique as decoupage. One side of the cutting board you will be used for destination, and the second decorate. For decoupage, you need to purchase acrylic paints and gouache any colors you like (or maybe you already have an idea for which we need specific colors), paper napkins with a pattern, PVA glue, tassels, foam rubber, sandpaper and varnish to cover the surface after how everything is ready – to secure the result.
There is nothing complicated in the decoupage technique, and the intricate name should not be confused. Simple actions are reduced to the following:
- Treat emery material all surface board+
- Welcome a napkin with a drawing into two parts, cut the ornament+
- Apply acrylic paint to that part where you will have a napkin+
- Press the surface of the drawing from the napkin, mixing it before water+
- then place the rest of the surface – draw something with paints, dip the foam in acrylic, for example, gold color, place the edges – this will give some kind of old+
- Complete the decoration by covering the entire painted side of the varnish board. Remember that the lacquer should be applied only to the side that we decorated, and not on the entire board completely, because cutting on the surface covered surface will be absurdity – the varnish will turn out, and all efforts will be in vain.
Here’s actually. Nothing difficult, but what is the result! Beautiful kitchen board made specifically for you, you and under your needs. What could be more pleasant?
On how to make a cutting board with your own hands, see the following video.