Stupid knives – the terrible dream of each cook. Cooking with such a knife turns into torture, so the fact that they can be sharpened at home – great luck. But here there are also their subtleties that need to know to make a knife sharper, and not to blow it even more. First of all, it is necessary to find out what is the angle of sharpening and why he is needed at all.
What is it and why he is important?
First of all, it is worth remembering that the universal cooling angle, equally suitable for all types of knives, simply does not exist. The choice of the desired will depend only on what the knife is used. Now you can figure out what it is. The term “sharpening angle” has many characteristics. On the knife, the angle of sharpening is the one on which the vehicle converges. And the approach, in turn, the very place where the clinches are smoothly moving into the cutting edge.
To correctly determine the angle, windows and descents of the blade, you need to at least roughly imagine the design of the knife. It happens that the knife has no veins, and then the sharpening angle is equal to the angle of descents, but these are extremely rare. Sometimes the sharpening angle is the angle between the surface of the grinder and the sharp edge of the blade.
First find out what is sharpening. This is the restoration of the initial parameters of the cutting part of the edge. Of course, it can be changed, but then it is necessary to look at the material from which the knife is made. Some are created from fragile materials and may not withstand rough work. We give the most frequently used materials from which knives are manufactured.
- Carbon steel represents a special carbon fusion with iron, with the addition of manganese or vanadium. Such knives are perfectly sharpened, but over time rust.
- Stainless steel often meets in kitchens. It is also a carbon, iron and chromium alloy with the addition of nickel or molybdenum. Very often such knives are stupid, in connection with which sharpening require much more often. If suddenly Steel Blade became dim, it means that the knife is more unsuitable for further use.
- Stainless high carbon steel – alloy of stainless and carbon steel, into which cobalt, molybdenum and vanadium are added. It retains all the best properties of these two alloys, that is, has high strength, sharpness and time without sharpening.
- Damascus Steel considered one of the best (and expensive) materials. Is a blacksmith forging that implies the alternation of soft and solid alloys. Damascus steel products are always sharpened by hand.
- Alloy Titan Made by sintering titanium with carbide inserts. Such products are required very rarely. The alloy requires careful circulation, as well as the presence of special skills and professional sharpening equipment.
- Zirconium alloy (ceramic) – This is ceramics after pressing and firing. Such products retain their sharpness for a very long time, but require accurate circulation and storage. Used for cutting soft, frostbed products. If you need to make such a knife, then you need to purchase special equipment.
So, before choosing one or another sharpening angle, you need to find out what material is a knife. Based on the knowledge of the material, you can make certain conclusions about the strength of the product and what it is suitable for. For example, if you can cut frozen foods with stainless high carbon steel with a stainless steel knife, then ceramic will be very badly survived by such an appeal.
Properly selected sharpening angle will help achieve a balanced distribution of pressure on the blade, which will increase the sharpness and cutting quality of the product.
There is a certain classification of sharpening angles associated with what region there is a type or a variety. This classification is based on the overall position that with a smaller coal of sharpening the blade is much sharper, but below the strength. Accordingly, with a larger coal sharpening above the strength, but below the sharpness. For kitchen knives, parameters from 10 to 60 degrees are used, but there is a separation by type of use.
- Ordinary table knife, Used when serving, should be 55-60 degrees.
- Household, kitchen, used at home cooking, equals approximately 30-35 degrees.
- Professional kitchen, which is used at different power points, sharpened under 25-30 degrees.
- Chef-knife can be used for cutting of a variety of products, it is sharpened at 20-25 degrees.
- Knife to be separated by fish, has a sharpening angle strictly 25 degrees.
- Knife to be separated by meat, Cold angle of 30 degrees.
- Knife to be separated vegetables, usually has an angle of 35 degrees.
- Knife used for root, has an angle of 22-25 degrees.
- For the oblivion of the knife Using an angle of 25-30 degrees.
- Knife to be separated by the fillet, must have sharpening at 10-15 degrees. Such knives should be as sharp as possible to more accurately separate the fillet part from the rest of the carcass.
- For frozen meat or fish, which are very solid and can damage knives from fragile materials, set the sharpening angle of 30-45 degrees, making an accent on sharpness, but on the strength of the blade.
- Small peers (folding, vykutaya) products sharpened at an angle of 20-25 degrees.
- Tourist and hunting knives Cold usually at a specific direction. For the cutting of a carcass, where you need for the most part of the sharpness, the product is sharpened at an angle of 30-35 degrees, and when priority for strength and durability, the angle of 40-45 degrees is chosen.
- Special shoal knives also have two varieties. The first is a shoe repair, sharpening an angle of 30-40 degrees. Cover cutting more acute, so it is sharpened at an angle of 20-25 degrees.
- Planer universal (He is a carpenter universal) should be hidden at an angle of 30-45 degrees.
This classification implies the most accurate sharpening for a separate type of work performed by a knife. But what to do if you need to put the knife and pick up the desired angle of the house where you can do without a detailed table?
How to choose an optimal angle?
Home use implies less strict division of knives in its intended. It is unlikely that someone will distinguish a knife for root vegetables for root. Then enough to calculate the universal sharpening angle, which is suitable for most kitchen work. The most suitable angle for the kitchen knife, which will be universal for cutting various products – 30-35 degrees. In this embodiment, it is focused on sharpness. When in priority wear resistance, then it is better to sharpen the product under the angle of 40 degrees.
Determine the correct value of the angle can be taking into account the table of generally accepted values. This will help to navigate with what kind of characteristic is more important at the moment: sharpness or strength.
Pay attention to the material: depending on this, you can return the initial severity, and you can completely fasten the product. The harder material, the less sharpening angle.
You can most accurately set the angle value with a tilter. However, this is not the most common item. therefore You can do without a transporter with scissors. This method does not allow one hundred percent accuracy, but will allow you to calculate the approximate value. Support scissors and transport. Open scissors and insert the tip of the knife. Then reduce the ends of the scissors until they touch the blades. Remove the knife and carefully, so as not to lose the measured result, lean the scissors on the paper sheet and circle a pencil. After measured with the help of the transport.
Sharpeners are divided into mechanical and electric. On electrical sharpeners, the value of the cooling angle is already exhibited. In the mechanical sharpeners, calculate the angle of inclination is also difficult. The effect of sharpeners is short-lived, but their plus is that it turns out much faster, and it is convenient when you urgently need to cook something.
However, the electrical sharpener with the adjustment of the sharpening angle can significantly simplify your life. It is very simple and intuitively understandable when using.
Different models can have a different bundle, but a sharpening angle regulator will always be present. The only minus of this machine can be that it takes quite a lot of space.
How to sharpen a knife?
Fixtures to assure a knife, very much. Each has its own specifics and its difficulties.
- Grilling bar. The most common home for sharpening. It is very easy to use, the only difficulty is to keep sharpening angle. You must have two bars: large and fine-grained. First, the blade at a large-grained bar is leaving the blade at an angle of 20-25 degrees and move along the surface of Bar. Try not to change the angle of inclination. After turn and squeeze the other side. Continue to sharpen both sides alternately. After changing the bar on the fine-grained and polish the product.
- Musat. Used only for a small severity. If the knife is stupid completely, then the muscate alone will not be enough. Take one hand knife into another musat. Approximately calculating an angle of 25 degrees, and about 4-6 times we drive the Musatat’s blade in both directions. You can stop the Musatom to the table, if you suddenly keep the tool with your hands you will not be very comfortable.
- Pocket sharpeners represent small grinding stones that are already placed in a plastic case. They already have the necessary angle, so you do not have to post and withstand it.
- Machine for grinding. Represents two abrasive circles rotating due to the presence of an electric motor. Not recommended for the operation of newcomers, since when using such a tool it is easy to damage the blade. Suitable to masters knowing how to properly set an angle and avoid the heating of the metal.
There are also extreme sharpening methods that are suitable when there is nothing at hand. This can be attributed:
- An ordinary cobblestone who can slightly improve the state of the blade+
- another knife when the knives are drunk by the blades of each other for 5-10 minutes, and both are hurned+
- Large fragment of a bottle or another glass product (it is important not to hurt here at sharpening)+
- leather belt is also often used for grinding blades.
Of course, these ways are not the best and most effective, but if there is nothing more at hand, for some time they will help to hold the knife. If you correctly pick up the sharpening angle, then it will be much easier to work with a knife, and its acuity and wear resistance will increase significantly.
On how to set the knife sharpening angle, see the following video.