Silver spoons are considered a mandatory attribute in each house where children live. In our article, we will tell you how to choose and correctly care for table appliances, and why there was a tradition to give them kids, and what are the beneficial properties of silver spoons.
Spoons from such a metal like silver, appeared in ancient Rome and Greece. In the time of the Middle Ages, similar table appliances used exclusively noble citizens and the royal yard. Wider walking they got a little later – in the era of the revival. Then the custom appeared to give a child to the christening “Apostolic spoons”, they were made of silver, and the cuttings were decorated with the image of the Virgin, Jesus Christ and Angels.
Rich goddes gave their gods a pair of spoons, and children from the most famous families received a full silver set of 12 items. Traditionally, the child handed a spoon with the image of the Apostle, in honor of which he got his name. However, not everyone could afford a similar gift, which is why there appeared known phraseological “Born with a silver spoon in the mouth,” which means that a person was born in a family with a very high material wealth.
In the time of Baroque, other options for the decoration of the spoon appeared – they began to apply vesited patterns, landscapes and other pictures.
In Russia, such cutlery appeared at the end of the first millennium. So, in 998, the princes of Prince Vladimir received these spoons as a gift for the adoption of the Christian faith and full of paganism.
In our country, a spoon of silver was always considered very good and expensive – she was given not only to the appearance of the first tooth, but also to enter the child in the gymnasium, and also presented to newlyweds. The most secured families were collected by silver cutlery, as dowry for their daughters – traditionally it was transmitted from mother to her daughter from generation to generation.
Dining sets were always considered the most valuable – their cost is much higher than that of scattered devices, although one-only spoon with a monogram famous wizard can have a rather impressive value.
For example, at the beginning of the last century, a pair of Faberge spoons at the auction, Christie went for 8 thousand dollars, and a spoon made by Fyodor Ryuckere was sold for 12.5 thousand dollars.
Worldwide is highly appreciated by table silver of German brands. So, Robbe & Berking has long supplied its products to the court of Arab Sheikh and the English Queen. Robert Freund, Franz Schnell Halle, and Herbert Zeitner, uses no less popular.
Highly appreciated by English tableware from silver brands William Suckling, Ridley Hayes, as well as products of some Danish enterprises. Among the Russian masters, Grachev, Ovchinnikov, Sazikov, and, of course, Faberge – many of them were in the past were suppliers of dishes for the Russian Imperial Court, this role was honorable and prestigious, so the dishes of these brands were usually branded with a special distinctive sign. Currently, the products of the Argent factory are in demand.
Nowadays, prices for the work of these masters can not be called exclusive, not only millionaires can afford. For example, a silver spoon with gilding, decorated with the image of the Virgin, Danish Masters A. MICHELSEN, made in 1916., It was sold for $ 230, in general, the price of the cutlery of this wizard varies from 50 to 600 dollars.
Vintage spoons of silver, made in the XVIII-XIX centuries., Stand a little more expensive, and a set of silver from 6 spoons and forks, made in 1855. The famous Jeweler Hippolyte Thomas is offered for one and a half thousand dollars – the weight of the set is a little more kilogram, all devices are decorated with a monogram owner.
Samples and stamps
The presence of a sample on any silver product speaks of its value and noble origin. If you turn to numbers, the marking shows which percentage of silver is in products. For instance, Sample 925 means that silver content is not less than 92.5%, and the share of alloying elements accounts for no more than 7.5%, copper is most often used.
Respectively, The most expensive is the spoon of 999 samples: It almost does not contain impurities, these products always have a bright silver shade and do not darken with time. At the same time, silver is in pure form – it is plastic metal. In the course of use, such spoons are easily bent, and after a few years, small scratches are formed on their surfaces and jar, such a spoon is very easy to break.
Spoons made of sample alloy 925 are the optimal combination of mechanical strength and characteristic silver radiance. The alloys of other samples retain the fortress, but as we use the yellowish tint.
Usually, 925 sample spoons are covered with gilding or enamel, due to which they retain an attractive appearance and a specific color.
It is known that silver cutlery 950 and 900 samples produce in France.
Many spoons of silver have stamps, they are known great many. The fact is that in each country in the one or another period there was its own silver marking system. For example, in Germany until 1988. There was a circulation of a lot of sample samples, and in America to this day a carat is used. On antique devices, there are usually 3-4 and even more stamp. So, Russian spoons produced in the second half of the last century have as many as 5 characters:
- Digital designation showing the proportion of silver in spools (usually metals are 84, 88, as well as 91 samples)+
- Year of testing (for example, 1854)+
- Master’s branded sign, which branded product (only his initials were usually put)+
- The adopted designation of the Table Chamber (for example, for Moscow is Georgy Victorious)+
- Master Masters Manufactured.
Vintage European spoons had their own character branding. So, on products of English crafts, you can find a lion with a raised paw – this is a sign that the spoon is made of sterling silver (925 samples), and on products made from 1783 to 1890. inclusive, additionally put the stamp duty, as well as the impression of the image of the ruling monarch at that time.
Advantages and disadvantages
About the benefits of silver is known since the old days. It was believed that water when contacting this metal becomes therapeutic healing from many dangerous ailments. The dishes from this metal were widely used in a variety of cultures and religious rites, and the usefulness of silver found confirmation in scientific research.
It has been established that the metal has the ability to kill microbes, and it is precisely silver who manifests its bactericidal features in a larger volume. Following him go copper and gold. If you have a silver spoon, you can always make silver water. To do this, you just need to lower the usual spoon in it and withstand at room temperature about a day.
Silver has the ability to destroy over 700 types of bacteria, while it acts 1750 times more efficient carbolic acid, 3.5 times more efficient permanganate potassium, chlorine and furaticiline, not touching useful microorganisms. It is noteworthy that the bacteria does not produce resistance to silver, therefore, even with long use, it retains efficiency in the fight against pathogenic microflora.
Another useful quality of silver is that his ions can distinguish healthy cells from patients on the warmth of the radiated waves, thereby setting the affected areas on a healthy range.
These features and made a relevant tradition of the darisation of a silver spoon “on the teeth” – the use of such devices for feeding kids causes painless teething, growth and good appetite of the child, the ionic particles of this noble metal contain the development of bacteria, viruses and other harmful microorganisms that live in food, oral cavity and human stomach.
At the same time, silverware has its drawbacks:
- In contact with meat products and bean spoons of silver begin to darken, so require constant care+
- Due to the increased thermal conductivity, the silver is pretty quickly heats up, for example, left in a glass with boiling water spoon in counting seconds becomes such a hot that it can hardly be in hand+
- Silver low sample is rather fragile and with careless circulation begins to break+
- Silver cutlery with frequent use are thinned and become susceptible to mechanical effects.
Analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of silver spoons, it is possible to make an obvious conclusion – to purchase silver products with the intention of frequent use is not worth. It is better to get a table silver in solemn cases and during large family meetings.
How to distinguish from melchior appliances?
Silver is often confused with Melchior. Of course, if you buy a thing in the store, everything is clear, but if you, sacrificing the things that got to you inheritance, found a silver cutlery, it is very important to understand whether it presents any value. Visually Melchior is very difficult to distinguish from silver at home, but if you adhere to some recommendations, then your task is largely simplified.
- Look carefully on sample. If you are a spoon from Melchior, then on it you will see the abbreviation of the MTC, it is decoded as copper, nickel and zinc – it is these metals that are the main components of the alloy. Silver spoons will stand the most common sample consisting of several digits.
- Hold a spoon in the water about a day. The product from silver will not change its type, while Melchior will begin to oxidize and acquire a dirty green shade.
- If you have a flavored pencil at hand, you can use them: just do the surface – Silver will remain unchanged, on the Melchior surfaces you will notice a dark spot.
- Try to evaluate a lot of spoons, put it on the scales – silver should be heavier than Melchior.
- If you buy a product, think about his price. If you are offered silver at low cost, this is a good reason to think – it is possible that you are trying to deceive.
- Enter your own sense of smell, Melchior can be determined by the smell of copper. In order for the flavor to become more pronounced, the spoon is better to lose a little.
- Use the usual iodine: drip a bit on a spoon and take a bright sun – on a silver product there should be a dark stain. However, this method has its drawback: you have to spend a lot of strength to clean your spoon.
- Instead of iodine you can use a chromuby. Silver must give a red reaction, and the higher the sample, the more saturated the shade will be.
Do not forget that in previous years, Melchior was very often used for the manufacture of cutlery, and if you have a product without sample, it is most likely done from the MNC and covered with light silver spraying.
Despite the fact that each of the listed methods relates to workers, in domestic conditions to distinguish silver from Melchior is very difficult. If you need 100% confidence, it makes sense to appeal to professional jewelers, restorers or antiques – they will give an accurate assessment not only about the composition of the metal device, but also help to know its approximate date of manufacture and cost.
Spoons Nowadays are available in the widest assortment – they can have a different shape, shades, different sizes and purposes.
The main types of spoons include 4 options.
- Canteen. These devices are adapted for the use of liquid porridge and first dishes from a high bowl, as well as for distribution of salads and other snacks. In Russia, its volume is approximately 18 ml.
- Dessert. The device is used for sweet dishes and baking supplied in small plates, as well as in deep cups for broths and soups. Its size is about 10 ml.
- Tea. Its purpose is to mix sugar in a glass of tea, in addition, it is often used for desserts. The volume of such a spoon is 5 ml.
- Coffee. This spoon is 2 times less than a tea, its volume corresponds to 2.45 ml and it is used complete with small coffee cups.
Also release auxiliary spoons.
- Barna. Is an object with an elongated spiral handle, at the end of which a small ball is located. It is suitable for the preparation of various smoothies and cocktails consisting of several layers.
- Boulevard. It can be elongated or rounded, while quite deep, used for liquid dishes.
- Plug. It is used for spill hot and laying second dishes on plates.
- Sounding. Differs in small sizes and pointed nose.
- Spoon for absinthe. Her destination is to add sugar to this strong alcoholic drink.
- Figured. Used to lay jam, jam and mousses from a shared bowl or cans in small individual saucers.
- Spoon for potatoes. Visually she resembles tubers something. There are so-called “ears” on both sides – they prevent the fall of hot boiled or baked potatoes when overlapping in plates.
- Spoon for spices. Its purpose is clear from the name. It usually has a compact size and necessarily comes complete with seasonings on the stand.
In addition to all the above varieties, you can find spoons for oysters, for sour cream, candies, as well as for caviar and many others.
Recommendations for choosing
Human health, especially the smallest family member is most important, because when buying a spoon of silver should be extremely attentive. In the event that you intend to present a spoon exclusively as a souvenir – it will be quite enough just a beautiful decor, But if you decide to give a gift that will be used for subsequent feeding, then demand a sanitary and hygienic certificate from the seller.
When applying a spoon, you should not have the slightest doubt that the product is characterized by the highest quality and functionality. The authenticity of the certificate is the main evidence that the use of a table appliance does not pose a threat to the life of the baby. This document also confirms that the product is made of environmentally friendly alloy using a standardized technological process.
Any high-quality silver spoon must comply with the following criteria:
- Having the scarlet shape of the rounded shape, without any chipping and different types of jar, which often lead to the injury of the oral mucosa and the toddler language+
- The handle should be convenient if possible, it is desirable that there are some irregularities at the edges, they will allow crumbs to carry out more resistant grip+
- The size of the spoon should fully respond to the peculiarities of the age and growth of the baby+
- Metal should be the highest quality.
In order for the spoons as long as possible not tuck, they are usually covered with purest silver 999 samples. Similarly, the spectacular appearance of products is preserved without prejudice to the useful properties of the metal.
However, not all covers are as useful as silver plated. For example, the gilding on silver looks very expensive and effectively, but because of it is lost all the beneficial properties of silver.
Sometimes it is covered with a greatest glitter to give it. This is a noble metal that is able to protect the cutlery from the effects of chemical solutions and mechanical damage. Silver with a similar coating looks very effectively, and it makes the metal particularly resistant to corrosion. Rhodium silver for a long time retains the decorative properties of the metal, however, the death of viruses with bacteria during contact with such spoons does not occur.
Some silver spoons are covered with varnish – Such cutlery in their intended purpose are not used, they perform exclusively decorative and souvenir functions. Varnish are applied on silver only to ensure that it is guaranteed to ensure its long-term storage, the coating can preserve silver, prevents its oxidation and appearance of patina, but when interacting with food, toxic substances.
Souvenir products also include Silver Spoons, Silver Mobile Coating. This type of coatings looks luxurious, but it does not allow silver to fully show their healing properties.
All types of coatings, with the exception of the silver of 999 samples, largely reduce the healing properties of the metal, prevent the penetration of ions into food, and all makes the table device completely useless from a medical point of view.
As for the design, in recent years, it is most often given a nominal spoon with engraving, instruments with an angel-keeper angel or zodiac sign.
In their appearance, spoons for a child, for men and women.
Storage and care
Nowadays, the choice of funds for silver care products is great – you can always find the appropriate drug in any economic or jewelry store, But traditionally very popular folk remedies used by our grandmothers and great-grandmothers.
- Very well cleans silver alloys ammonia alcohol. To do this, you just need to plunge spoons per hour into a solution of alcohol mixed with water in proportion 1 to 10. If you do not have time for waiting, moose in the solution of the ammonia and start wipe the product as intense as possible, up to the complete disappearance of the stains. Keep in mind that table silver with black is not recommended to clean it.
- To return silver shine, potato decoction has proven well. In order to get rid of darkening, you need to put a silver spoon in it for a quarter of an hour, and already after this short time the device will look like a new.
- Well cleans silver citric acid. Put a spoon in its concentrated solution for a few minutes, and it will immediately shine with a cold glitter.
- Clean silver spoons can be cleaned with tobacco ash. To do this, you need to mix it with water, boil in the resulting composition of the spoon, after which the cutlery must be thicker. Alternatively, you can mix the ashes with lemon, and to process the product.
- A good effect gives food soda, especially if many divorces appeared on a spoon. The sequence of actions is simple – you just need to take a wet napkin, to cry out a little soda and wipe the pollution points until they disappear completely.
If you don’t have any of the above, you can use the usual toothpaste. You just need to apply it on a soft rag, and thoroughly wipe the spoon.
About how to clean cutlery (melchior, silver, stainless steel) and other dishes, look in the video below.