The name of the creator of the spoon is impossible to call – it was lost in the centuries, but no doubt this cutlery was invented in deep antiquity and it is much older fork, which was distributed only in the XVII century. The solid age of the spoon is confirmed by a large number of folk wisdoms, such as the “spoon good to dinner”, “Seven with a compassion – one with a spoon”, which are invented by people in the old days.
It is noteworthy that during the evolution of the kitchen utensils, the spoon has not changed any changes, but many of its species appeared that they have their own intention.
A spoon is an object of kitchen utensils made of wood, plastic or metal. It serves to burn food and transfer them to further absorb. However, today the area of using a spoon is not limited to this – It is known as a musical instrument, with the help of this cutlery, doctors often consider the throat and even make a cosmetic massage.
Any spoon consists of several elements:
- Bleavo – This is a basic working part of a spoon, which is used directly for scraping and moving the product+
- supported – It is necessary to hold the design and management of it+
- jumper – connects work parts with each other.
History of appearance
A spoon is one of the most popular cutlery that has become widespread worldwide. If you believe these etiology, then the definition of the “spoon” comes from “Log”, which means “deepening”, “nizin”, “ravine”, although this issue today is considered controversial. According to some versions, the word “spoon” comes from “licking” or “choking”.
A spoon appeared much earlier than the fork. These archaeologists confirm that in the third century before. NS. People used objects resembling spoons in their form. Later spoons began to produce from burned clay – at that time they were a shards with handles. A few centuries, for the manufacture of this table appliance began to use noble materials – horns and bones of animals, wood, natural stone, sea shells and even nut shell. In ancient Greece and Rome spoons began to do from bronze and silver.
By the way, during this period they were used in the kitchen as evaps and stirrers, and ate people with hands right from the meal, and in order to pick up pieces of food, used bread.
In Russia, on this time, wooden spoons have already appeared, which are even mentioned in the “Tale of Bygone Years” of the XII century. Spoons were widespread, and was considered a good tone to visit with its cutlery. At that time, even existed such an item as a folding spoon.
In the era of the Middle Ages, the material for the manufacture of spoons was metal – representatives of aristocratic families were used silver and gold appliances. In the XVIII century, aluminum devices received great popularity, since this metal was considered very expensive. So, at the courtyard of Napoleon during the ceremonial receptions, the most honorable guests were served by spoons from this metal.
It’s funny that later the material has become the main sign of a cheap Soviet catering.
At the end of the XVIII century, the spoons took an ellipsis form approximate to modern. For the same period, an increased interest in Chinese and Japanese culture is characterized. A huge number of objects brought from these Asian countries set the interest of the inhabitants of the old world to tea ceremonies – it was at that time a teaspoon appeared. And after the Europeans discovered coffee, the spread received a coffee spoon. This is how much a variety of spoons arose, their forms and materials from which cutlery was made.
Baroque made its own adjustments to the design of the kitchen utensils – the handle stretched slightly slightly. Presumably the reason for such changes has become a fashion for such objects of clothing, like jabs and wide sleeves.
In 1825, in Saxony began to produce cutlery from Argentina – nickel alloy, zinc and copper. This metal is visually similar to silver, but it costs at times cheaper. A few years later, it began to be used to produce spoons throughout Europe. Now the material is more famous as Melchior and is one of the most sought-after in the manufacture of spoons to this day.
At the beginning of the last century there was a revolutionary opening of stainless steel, which served as the beginning of a new milestone in the history of cutlery. Due to the addition of chromium, the resistance and durability of the material increases, while the risk of corrosion is reduced to almost zero.
Today, for the manufacture of spoons, the most different materials are used, but silver devices are most high-quality and expensive.
It must be said that many legends are connected with spoons and believes.
So, in the revival era, it was customary to give spoons with the image of Christ on any religious holidays – they wore the name of the apostolic.
Silver spoons of time impertons gave children when the first tooth appears. In Tsarist Russia, a spoon from this noble metal also gave the toddler in the gymnasium and by graduation. In the first case, a dessert spoon was presented, and in the second – dining room.
Table painted utensils have always been considered a good wedding gift. It was the opinion that then the young house will become a “full bowl” and the spouse will never face poverty and poverty.
In Cambridge, students who received a low score on mathematics on the exams were given a huge spoon – this custom existed until the beginning of the XIX century. The origins of this unusual tradition go to ancient times when in England it was customary to present a spoon as a comforting prize to a person who gave the worst result in any contests and competitions.
Cambridge is not the only university, whose traditions are associated with spoons. For example, students of the Kazan University right up to the beginning of the last century believed that for successful exams, everything we need tea spoons in the house in front of the test to put under the bookcase.
Famous El Salvador Dali used metal spoon instead of alarm clock. He took the device in hand, and put the plate from tin. As soon as the artist began to darish, the spoon dropped out of the hands and stuck out about a plate with a loud sound, it allowed the artist to quickly wake up and remember the dream. It is believed that this particularly helped him create his best canvas.
By the way, Salvador Dali dedicated to the spoons of Salvador, and even created a whole collection of these kitchen appliances.
Spoons make from a variety of materials – there are tin, titanium, silicone, copper and plastic products. Among the most common today are the following.
- Stainless steel – This is the optimal option for everyday use. Spoons that are made of this material are not covered with rust, easily wash and do not fuss over time. These products are distinguished by high quality, practicality and quite a democratic price.
- Chromnichel Steel – another good option that does not lose your attractiveness over time. From stainless steel they are distinguished by a gold shine. Such cutlery are also used as everyday utensils.
- Aluminum – once popular, but today is practically not used for the manufacture of spoons. The fact is that the appearance of the metal is not particularly attractive, besides, such spoons are easily bent and poorly laundered. However, the cost of such devices is very low, which explains their popularity in the Soviet catering.
- Wood – Such spoons today are more often used as a popular musical instrument, in the kitchen they can be used except as the subject of decor.
However, some hostesses use spill wooden scales and midnisters, also adapt such items to stirring dishes when cooking in a frying pan with a non-stick coating.
- Ceramics – This option is more likely to decorative and gift. The cost of such things is high, because they are used as a table appliance only in expensive restaurants, most often in Asian.
- Plastic – It is used to produce disposable devices and hiking options.
It should be noted that in the European Union recently adopted a law prohibiting the use of plastic dishes. This means that spoons from plastics will gradually be derived from everybody.
- Silver – Beautiful and expensive material that requires special care. With improper storage, silver loses its color, darkens and can be covered with scratches. In previous years, cutlery from this metal served as an indicator of the status of a family, a sign of the aristocraticness of the genus and financial well-being.
Today they are more often used as souvenirs, for example, in baptized sets.
- Melchior – This spoon with its attractive appearance is quite capable of competing silver. Over time, the metal darkens, while returned to him the original appearance is almost impossible.
Types of spoons
Depending on the purpose of the spoon, they are very different, but conventionally divided into two groups – basic and auxiliary.
The main cutting devices include the following.
- Canteen – This device is used for the use of soups and other first dishes, as well as caster of deep dishes. The volume of the tablespoon – 18 ml.
- Dessert – Used to use ice cream, cakes, cakes, soufflies and other desserts from small plates and crem. These spoons can be used and when feeding soups, but only if they are poured into broth cups. The volume of dessert spoon is 10 ml.
- Tea – as follows from the name, such a device is needed to stir sugar in a cup of tea, sometimes can have functions dessert. The volume of the device – 5 ml.
- Coffee – Indispensable for lovers to enjoy Latte and other popular coffee drinks. The volume is two times less than tea – only 2.45 ml.
Supports include such.
- Barna – characterized by a spiral or elongated handle with a cone or a spherical tip. Such a device is used to compose cocktails, mixing ingredients and removal of berries and fruits. The ball is necessary for kneading the same berries or, for example, spices.
- Boulevard – Spoon is needed for the use of liquid dishes. Usually she has a rather complicated form. Such a device was distributed in Asian restaurants.
- For absinthe – This spoon is distinguished by a complex curly shape. Usually a piece of sugar is put on it, and the absinthe is poured on top.
- For fruit – With its appearance, this piece of kitchen utensil resembles an ordinary tablespoon, but on the edges there are notched, thanks to which it is convenient to dig the flesh from Kiwi and some citrus.
- For Olivakh – This spoon allows with the maximum convenience of removing olives from canned. Such a device has a long handle and a small hole for draining liquid.
- Sounding – Usually comes complete with a sauce, characterized by the presence of nose and elongated form.
There are still no less than several dozen spoons – for spaghetti, for salad, barred, for brewing tea, for caviar, for donuts, spoon-thermometer, noise, pile, and others used for various purposes.
How to choose?
Let us stay more on the selection of food products.
Wooden devices are definitely very elegant, but they will not fit as cutlery for daily use. These spoons absorb moisture, they are short-lived, and there are inconvenient of them. Such devices are optimal during fishing trips from the ear, and in the conditions of urban apartments it is better to give preference to other materials.
Aluminum spoons can now be found, perhaps only in the country or grandmother in the village. Now, no self-respecting owner will be solved on the purchase of such devices – they are unesthetical and impractical, in addition, some experts are expressed by the idea of the dangers of this metal.
However, justice, we note that many experts are questioned by many experts.
Stainless steel is the best option for everyday use, but be careful – Chinese manufacturers often use low quality steel in production, so such devices can be at least short-lived, as a maximum of life and health.
Luxury table cutters produce from Melchior, which is a alloy of manganese, nickel and copper. Usually such devices are topped with gold or silver.
Exclusive kitchen utensils are made of silver. Such instruments are expensive, so it is important not to be mistaken with the quality of the dishes offered in stores.
We give several recommendations for the choice.
- Pay attention to the brilliance of the spoon. Depending on the labeling of the steel used, it can be white or grayish. Lack of brilliance usually indicates that steel was not polished or used low-quality alloy.
- Examine the edges of the device, spend your fingers. If you notice irregularities and burrs – boldly, refuse to buy, since the use of such spoons is not only ugly, but also unsafe for health.
- High-quality spoons bend should be thickened, Otherwise, they will be easily deformed if the user clicks on them.
- Hold the spoon in your hands, count her thickness. In accordance with the standard, it should vary from 1.5 to 4 mm, if the product is already – it is unlikely to last for a long time in your kitchen.
- Important moment – the depth of stamping. If you have a device with almost flat bread, then with a large share of the probability in front of you consumer goods from China, there is almost impossible from such dishes. Normally, the depth of the table appliance must be 7-10 mm.
- Sniff out – You do not have to feel any odor. Some spoons have a pronounced smell of machinery – from buying such products it is better to refuse to immediately.
- Be sure to demand a hygienic certificate and certificate of conformity from the seller. The document should indicate the manufacturer, its address, as well as the name of the brand of cutlery – for example, a spoon “Pavlovskaya”.
Storage and care
In order for the spoons to serve you for a long time, you need to carefully care for them.
Storage of stainless steel instruments does not constitute any difficulties – you just need to clean them in a timely manner from residual food, wash with special means for washing dishes and use soft sponges. The use of abrasive compositions and metal brushes is allowed, they will not worsen the quality of products, but their appearance will become less aesthetic.
If such a spoon lay for too long in salted water, rainbow or dark brown spots may appear on its surface, which are easily removed with a weak solution of citric acid.
Products with plastic handles look very effectively, but there is one large “but” – plastic is quickly engaged, deformed and scratched, and the dirt is often stuffed into scratches. Dishwasher helps to cope with cleaning such devices. Include it needs to low-temperature modes, otherwise plastic will lose its form.
Silver and Melchior appliances care resembles jewelry care. After each use, such devices need to rinse in soda solution (50 g per liter of warm water). From time to time, a spoon must be treated with special cleaning pastes, solutions and napkins.
Alternatively, you can use folk remedies. High efficiency is different ammonia – Its 10% solution is poured into a bowl with water and immerse the cutlery for 10-15 minutes, after which it is thoroughly washed and dry out with a rag.
Another interesting way involves the use of soda. To do this, you need to dissolve 2 tablespoons of powder in 500 ml of water and put on fire. As soon as the water boils, you need to throw several pieces of food foil into it, and after putting spoons for 15-20 minutes.
It makes it possible that silver and melchior devices need to be brushed with a dental powder – this is a big misconception, because when using such agents, microcracks appear on their surfaces and the dirt is stuffed in them, as a result of the spoon, they lose their kind. Categorically unacceptable use of chlorine-containing means. This element has repeatedly accelerates silver oxidation, which makes kitchen utensils not only ugly, but also harmful to user health.
Silver and Melchior devices can be washed in a dishwasher using aggressive means with gentle temperature.
About how to clean stainless steel spoons, look in the following video.