If at home, preparing food, the hostess will not immediately think about ordering kitchenware, including knives, then, for example, in a restaurant or hospital kitchen, where a frequent cooking food is raised on the rapid flow, every day serving a huge contingent, the value has every little thing. To work more efficiently and faster, the chefs contain knives, electrical appliances, cutting boards and other utensils in an easily accessible order – as prescribed their working regulation.
Working shifted, not every chef will like if the previous worker, whom he just changed, left the same knives in one of the table boxes, without decomposing them in a special stand or in a penalty in a prominent and all-famous place. And when there is no possibility overnight to purchase such a stand, it makes sense to take care of its independent manufacture.
What is included in the Stand Design?
As carrier capacity Suitable any Ready or Homemade Container, Box. The latter is made of plywood and / or rails. As a finished container, the filter-jug is often used for water, which broke the liner held by the replaceable filter cassette.
In addition to the carrier capacity, it should be located Reliable filler. The height of the tank and the level of the filler is such that the knife inserted down inserts down in the filler on the handle, without getting the end of the blade to the bottom of this container.
Accordingly, the filler is chosen so that the knife stood stably in the stand, not falling on the adjacent knives or the edge of the stand. The filler itself should not shift when the stand is still motionless.
Best Material for Filler
As a filler, a jelly-like material is unsuitable – it only stains the washed knife, stored. Bulk – also not the perfect solution: It is unlikely that you want to leave knives, for example, in a saucepan with buckwheat or sugar.
The best solution is chopsticks or pegs, the length of which is significantly larger or equal to the height of the capacity: Being folded together and squeezed in the amount in which a little loose place remains, they form an almost perfect “landing” platform for a dozen knives. If only one of several knives are currently inserted, He should not fall into this free space along with the handle.
When all the knives are inserted into this improvised stand, sticks and pegs are pressed to each other and knit enough to the blades, so as not to give the latter to fall.
In addition to sticks, frozen in large quantities of fresh wood or extended from thin branches of any tree, also bamboo, sold in any economic or shop for needlewomen. Instead of sticks, permissible, for example, aluminum wire (you can pull out the “veins” from the old cable), sliced by the same length with the lengths bluled from the ends.
In the absence of bamboo sticks, dissolve the new broom and cut it with a row.
If there were no sticks, tight cardboard stripes can be used as a filler, old logs, twisted into a roll, candles, bristles of plastic brushes and even books. The latter can fit into the already finished capacity (or the box independently for them, for example, calculated for several volumes from any compilation), and act as and supporting construction (Covers in solid binding – material for cells, and pages – filler).
To make a stand purely from old books, tie 3-4 volumes with a decorative ribbon and install vertically – such a stand is ready to storing your first knives.
Purchase at least two ready-made plastic brushes and PVC pipe with a diameter of up to 20 cm. Epoxy glue will also need. Step by step the whole manufacturing process is as follows.
- Spile at one of the ends of the pipe butt.
- Pull out the bristles from the brushes and connect them together.
- Pour the glue into the plug so that it is rolling evenly along the bottom of the plug at least for the centimeter, and insert the collected bundles of the bristles into the plug. Glue impresses their ends and after hardening reliably keep the bristle in the plug. If instead of epoxy uses thermocons, then brush bundles are glued in one or small groups. The bristles should be placed as tight.
- After solidification, drag the glued bristle through a piece of pipe. Connect the design together by closing the plug. For stability, you can stick to the plug piece of plywood square shape of a larger size than the diameter of the plug itself.
The design is collected and ready for use. Bristle hairs are a dense wall and can reliably hold even a few inserted knives.
Stand without filler
The simplest option is any wooden bar in width or diameter of at least 20 cm. After sawing wood (both on firewood and industrial – for construction needs) it can stay very smooth from all sides a piece of wood with a height equal to the length of the long knife of the longest knife from your set. In it with the help of long coarse, the electrolovka or other girlfriend tools are done by sloping holes, each of which will fit any of the knives.
If you are dealing with thin rails or plywood, then an oblong piece of plywood or cutting a length of at least 1.5-2 meters is enough to make stable stand that will not fall, Even when the biggest and heavy knife (as a rule, it is a cramp to cut a carcass), will be inserted close to the edge.
The design can be both simple (“both is full”) and take a curly shape.
If the design of your kitchen is so promoted and perfect that the rapid ways to perform a stand will only spoil all the species, use the option that is not inferior to industrial products neither accuracy or quality. For the manufacture of the stand will be needed:
- Board, length and width equal to the future stand+
- Rake or plywood+
- Glue or self-tapping screw.
Make the following:
- Follow the board according to the location of the horizontal and vertical segments of the rail+
- Enclose thin (slightly thicker blades of the largest knife) Cut the rails to the board (several of them) in accordance with the markup parallel to the knives inserted+
- Next, glue three longitudinal (perpendicular to the previous one) segment – two along the edges and one in the middle.
The resulting design can be added to the lateral spacers or legs that do not give it to it, and fix on the wall, attaching two additional rails to the last.
The second version of the suspension stand is much simpler. In any rake or bar, the groove is cut into which small neodymium magnets fixed with glue is inserted. The design is hanging on a wall or, for example, a sidewall of a kitchen cabinet. It is enough to make knives blades to the places of magnets – they will reliably hold on them. Such a magnetic holder – the best solution for knives, who do not need to wipe due to the huge number of repetitive actions when cooking food is put on a wide stream.
Desktop stand from a set of regards
Another “advanced” option for an arbitrary arrangement of knives in a stand, giving your kitchen, a unique luxury element.
Step-by-step manufacturing process looks like this:
- Collect the rail to dozens of segments equal in length, but 1-2 cm is longer than the largest knife from your set+
- The base of the square or rectangular segment of the board or plywood flashes on the transverse section of the rail+
- Stick edging from long and narrow plywood segments around the perimeter – this will create a fixing face from all sides+
- Place the vertically segments of the rail and secure them with nails, pre-apply glue layer on their ends and on the segments of these segments+
- Give the whole design to “grab”.
For reliability, if the distance equal to the clinics of the longest knife itself allows the epoxy glue. The latter has excellent fluidity, and 1.5-2 hours before hardening, he will have time to flow into all microcracks, small cracks remaining after the main stage of the work.
Ideas for self-making with your own hands stands for knives, not inferior industrial, more than a dozen. Many “self-delicacies” earn good on this, because the handmade master, well-disassembled in fashion modern decor, is more valuable than the conveyor manufacturer of parts or automatic assembly of the product in the consumer who has been replicated by millions per year.
About how to make a stand for knives with your own hands, look in the following video.