Each person professionally engaged in cutting and sewing, faced a problem for choosing a knife for tissue cutting. In the modern sewing market, these devices are presented in a variety of options, which often leads to confusion of inexperienced tailors.
In order not to make a mistake in the choice of a similar knife for cutting the fabric, you should familiarize yourself in advance both with all the varieties of products and the features of their choice and use.
All these nuances will be discussed in detail in our article.
Cutting knife came to replace the traditional scissors in the sewing sewing due to a range of tool properties that make it much more efficient to work compared to tailoring scissors. These characteristics include the following.
- The rate of cutting material is significantly faster. This is explained by the fact that the movement of the hand during the use of a knife is much simpler.
- If the scissors each layer of tissue is cut separately, the cutting knife can cut several layers of matter at once.
- This tool is not blown up. The blades of most models are self-folding, due to which the service life is quite large.
- With the help of a knife easier to cut the complex patterns and shapes on the fabric.
- Unlike scissors, such a knife is easy to cope with a dense material, such as dermatin or drape.
In addition to common characteristics for all products, cutting knives also have a number of individual signs, depending on which type of tools belong to. Among such sewing goods are allocated the following types.
- Disk knife or roller is one of the most sought-after. Its blade has a round shape and cuts the material by turnover around its axis in the process of movement by handle. On the housing of such a knife, as a rule, there is a platform with rollers adjacent to the surface of the fabric. This additionally provides solidity. If the sketch is present in small spinning lines, then it will be difficult to cut them with such a tool.
Many tailors prefer it precisely, because it can be purchased at a democratic price, especially if we are talking about a model with a mechanical control type. More upgraded electrical version of the roller knife is more convenient, but it will cost more. Such a model is often used for patchwork.
- Vertical knife, which is also called a saber, is used for vertical cutting. The main materials for the use of such devices are synthetic fabrics, as well as fabrics that have resistance when the blade is moving horizontally along its surface. They can sink, form assembly and deform. These knives are pretty dimensions and differ in each other by such characteristics as the frequency of fluctuations of the blade, as well as engine power. Working with them is mainly preferred by tailors from sewing workshops.
- One of the species of large tailoring knives is a ribbon. It is a kind of machine, mainly used in factory manufacturing. Blades of such a knife are so powerful that in addition to ordinary fabrics can be cut and very dense material, as well as foam rubber and even wood.
- To cut out of the fabric, small parts requiring particularly painstaking work, you should use such a round knife as Esnorovaya, which is created on the disk model. Often such a small-sized tool is used on thin matters.
- The most expensive device for cutting fabric is Laser knife. It prevents the glands of the tissue fibers in the process of cutting and is able to cut the matter folded several times, even in a complex trajectory. Such equipment is used mainly in factory.
- Analog Laser device Precision is an ultrasonic tailoring knife. However, due to not so large dimensions, he may even be present in the Arsenal of the Cranewoman working at home. Works device when connected to a power outlet. It is suitable for cutting skin and other dense tissues.
How to choose?
To pick up the most suitable for you model cutting knife, need to take into account a number of nuances when choosing.
- Frequency of operation of the tool. For uniform or rare splits, completely different knives are needed than for permanent tailoring activities.
- Consider the material with which work is being done. Knife used for coarse or thick matter can simply open thin fabrics.
- Consider that the number of layers of tissue in the cutting process also plays an important role, since the blades of not all models are able to cut several layers at the same time.
- Carbon steel should be used as the main raw materials for blades. An important feature is their ability to self-collecting.
- The size of the cutting knife is important for the convenience of the process. Too bulky models will only complicate work with the material.
- Pay attention to the shape of the blade. There are direct types, as well as made in the form of a zigzag. From the selected type will depend on what the edges of the fabric remain after the cut.
- Choosing between manufacturers, give preference to large firms, the products of which have already proven themselves in the sewing market, since products of little-known companies often turn out to be less qualitative.
- The diameter of the blade is determined by the complexity of the pattern. If the small parts of one layer of tissue have to cut, then take devices with a small blade. But if you need to cut several layers on a major sketch at once, you can stop the choice of knives with a larger blade.
- So that the work process is as secure as possible, stop the choice on such blades that are maximally closed plastic or rubber casing.
- Note that the holder handle is as comfortable as possible. Many models for home operating this part design is not quite convenient, which can entail errors when cutting fabric.
Choosing electrical models, consider such a parameter as device insulation quality.
How to use?
So that the process of cutting the fabric passed the most productive and accurately, should not be forgotten that it requires compliance with a certain sequence of actions, Part of which implies the direct use of the knife.
- To protect the working surface from knife blades in the process of cutting, put a special rug under the fabric. It is worth remembering that with each new cutting rug should be replaced. But you can buy a special rug made of plastic. It is resistant to the formation of traces from a knife, and over time they can even be delayed. Therefore, the acquisition of such a reusable accessory will significantly save your resources.
- Place the fabric on the rug, you need it so that its lower edge is combined with the longitudinal marking of the rug.
- To level the edge of the fabric, in addition to the knife, you need to use the line. It is located for a couple of centimeters from the edge, holding the hand. In the other hand, you need to keep the knife and cut the cloth on the line, strongly pressed the blade. The incision should be carried out only in one direction.
- Use the device as careful as possible, do not have the fingers too close to the blades, because they are pretty sharp and may damage you in case of careless movement. Also ensure that there are no pets and young children in the process of nearby.
- After carrying out the cutting of the blade, the knife can be hot, so first of all give the equipment to cool. Then be sure to remove the particles of the fabric from the blade.
Thus, in the tailoring case, the knife is an integral accessory for cutting the necessary parts from various matters. It not only allows you to make this work quickly, but also helps the fiber fabric as much as possible. therefore It is very important to make the right choice when purchasing this device.
The performance of the saber knife can be evaluated right now.